Topic

Recommendations for an E-vent Shell w/ Pit Zips?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Anyone have suggestions for a rain shell made with E-vent fabric but also has pitzips or other significant venting? Sorry if there is a previous thread, search mode on this site is cumbersome. Just really tired of dealing with my ridiculously overpriced arc'teryx gore-tex shell that cooks better than my alcohol stove. Or glass is half full, I guess it could be considered an underpriced sauna.

Richard Lyon BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 8:34 am

Wild Things (www.wildthingsgear.com) sells an eVENT jacket with pit zips. It's called the Alpinist. Not sure if it qualifies as UL, though.

PostedMar 4, 2009 at 2:53 pm

@Dana.
Yeah, i know. That's why i said "more of a mountaineering shell". ;)

Personally, i've never found the need for pit-zips in my e-Vent jackets.

Dana S BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:12 pm

@Mike

I know, just pulling your chain.

I would definitely love an ID thru-hiker with pit-zips

t.darrah BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Wildthings SL eVent Alpinist @ 16 oz, no pit zips. Tough, clean design and made in the USA! Cost is $275.00 I think and is available in four colors including black.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Nathaniel:

I asked the same question 3 years ago — and still no bona fide UL eVENT jackets with pit zips. Why? Because the eVENT laminate/fabric itself is relatively heavy (not heavy per se but more weighty as compared to true UL competition out there).

While you await more responses… consider the MontBell Peak Shell jacket. It weighs just 11 oz. and comes with both front zips (with hand pockets), extra long pit zips, and fully-adjustable hood and hem!

Like eVENT, MontBell's proprietary "Breeze Dry Tec" laminate is also directly air permeable while maintaining 100% rain-proofness. Like eVENT, it dispenses with the breathability-inhibiting PU layer altogether.

I believe eVENT, MontBell, and Driducks are the only materials that are rainproof yet directly air permeable on the market.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...