Topic

What’s a good summertime quilt?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Welcome Denis. Doesn't it feel better to be out of the closet now?? Fondling gear is sooo much more satisfying in the light of day (and even better in the backyard).

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

If this is going to be your first quilt i think you should make it yourself. It is very easy and this way you can try it with little $$ invested. Under $60 for sure.

Use 2.5yd climashield Combat 3.7oz (based on your needs) from Thru-hiker.com and 5yds 1.1oz ripstop from any number of places. I have even gotten it at big chain fabric stores. (if you get it at a local be 100% sure it isn't coated, the sales staff will be useless)

As far as putting it together. fabric, fabric, insulation. Sew all but 8" shut, pull inside out=quilt. Sew 8" closed go hiking. I can give a much more detailed explanation or even make you a quilt. However, i think the best is to just do it.

Not only can you try a quilt on the cheap but you can build a new skill.

-Tim

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Hi Dennis,

Now that you have admitted your problem we are here to help.

To alleviate the problem you need to send all that gear to me for , uh, safekeeping while you work on the fondling issues.

Fingers twitching with anticipation, I mean, waiting to help,

Ray

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm

I really like my Nunatak Ghost – I had it custom made with slightly less down for a summer quilt and it's only 12.7 oz. I've had it down near freezing with the additon of a Montbell Down Inner Parka, an Icebreaker 200 base layer, and BPL Cocoon Pants. Tom at Nunatak will work with you to customize his products to fit your needs.

The MYOG synthetic quilt is a good idea for starting out to see if you like quilting though. I started with one of the Ray Jardine quilts and it was a good starter. I still keep it as a 'loaner'.

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 7:38 am

Marshall, I might just take your advice or get a Ray-Way kit. Then again, the BPL 90 quilt is also looking attractive and relatively cheap.

Tim Marshall BPL Member
PostedMar 5, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Ray Way is a rip off. He charged too much for simple plans and the footbox is crap.

BPL does have good prices on their 2 warmer weather quilts. Whats up with that? They are never cheap on anything. I read someplace they are switching from DELTA to XP. IS this why these 2 quilts are so cheap right now?

-Tim

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Paul,

This is the time of year to contact the quilt manufactures for availablity of demos of last year models…. Potential on a demo or irregular is normally 30-50% off…

FWIW, JRB is converting to a new subdued olive drab from the kelly green.

Pan

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I noticed some time ago the new look at the JRB web site, well done …
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

Denis did not need to come out of the closet, the door was well and truly open and we could see inside.
Not sure if we should allow pros like Ray to be part of the club. Some of us can at least pretend not to be addicted.
Franco

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with a WM Caribou and the BPL 60? How do they compare in terms of compressibility and packed size?

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
Loading...