Topic

what size backpack do I need?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion what size backpack do I need?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rob wil

@auradar

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)

okay, I need to get a backpack. I've decided to go external frame. Now my question is what size do I need?

I'm 6'2" and will be doing overnighters with my 7 yr old. Don't need cold weather stuff as I'm in the Florida panhandle. Will be doing a summer trip in the Smokies, but thats in July.

So I'll pretty much be carrying the load for the two of us.

I know the correct answer is goto the store and pack a bag with everything you think you need. However, that's not possible with me. Maybe able to swing it, but I don't think so as I don't have any stores around my area.

So if I have to order blindly, what cubic load should I get as a minium?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Body fit will depend on what packs you are looking at, but you should be able to determine that online, but Large is a good bet.

Next get a cardboard box about 12"x12"x24" (3456 ci) or similar. Pack it best you can. Fake the food with stuffsacks of towels. Don't forget waterbottles. Keep the top surface of gear as level as possible. Order doesn't matter. Measure and do the math, add a little extra. You'll be close.

rob wil

@auradar

Locale: FL Panhandle (aka LA)

didn't think about making a cardboard box.

Good idea, thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools