Topic

How many people on here are actually using Innov’s?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 5:46 am

I finally got a chance to try out a pair (the roclite 268's, and just in store) and while I liked them… I'm on the fence. I'd really have to log some miles to figure out if they give my toes enough room. Also backcountry has the women's Mudclaw 270 on sale… and it has a killer tread.

Anyone able to give any feedback? I did a search on here and saw that there are a handful of subscribers who own them.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 6:08 am

I had a pair. Of Rocklite something or others. I got them based on what I had heard on this site, but they fit my foot so poorly that I sent them back after just 20 minutes of walking around the house. I guess they are just not going to work for my feet. I have odd feet though. Some brands I can't wear. Montrails make my toes go numb (even with ample room) and if I wear solomons, I experience serious shin, calf, knee, and arch pain after a mile or so. For what it's worth….

Jonathan Ryan BPL Member
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 6:41 am

They are all I use now for all kinds of outdoor pursuits. They are wonderful once you get used to them. That being said I was on the fence to on my first hike as they feel so different from anything else out there. Thinking from what I have seen on this site people either love them or hate them.

Jonathan Ryan BPL Member
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 6:58 am

Comfort, grip, enhanced trail feel makes me more stable on my feet.

2 years ago I did a speed hiking race and sprained my ankle very badly. After thinking I was healed after a month or two I headed back out on the trail and re-injured it. After doing some reasearch on natural foot movement and how modern shoe's can get in the way I decided to give them a try. Been using them for a year and a half now and have had no issues. I think the key is to initially try one of their more supportive and well cushioned models and then move your way to one of their more minimal models. I started with the Roclite 295 and worked my way to the Flyroc 310. Now I use the Roclite 305 for all road running/long trail runs and use the Flyroc 310 for everything else. Also used the Roclite 315 but found it was good at everything but not awesome like the combo of these other 2 models for my needs.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 7:15 am

I have an oddly shaped right foot, so most off-the-shelf shoes don't fit me. I can stretch some leather shoes to fit properly, but in general, non-leather shoes aren't an option for me.

However, Inov-8 shoes fit me and are extremely comfortable. The upper is flexible enough to mold to my foot so I can wear them all day. The heel isn't as elevated as many other trail runners, so I feel more comfortable walking or running in them.

I recently learned how to make shoes, so I don't plan on buying many shoes in the future, I'll make my own. But Inov-8 shoes are still something I'll keep buying when pairs wear out.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 7:37 am

I have odd-shaped feet, too. I can't seem to find anything that fits me. Maybe if people who found good shoes could say something about the shape of their feet, especially your odd feet, it might help the rest of us.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 7:52 am

I use a pair of Roclite 315s for trail running and the Flyroc 310s for hiking. The Flyroc models, along with the Terrocs I believe, have a wider toe box than the Roclites.

The Roclite sole is so grippy and along with the 'tighter' fit I find it perfect for trail running and shorter hikes. The Flyroc 310 is definitely more 'relaxed' and I find it perfect for longer, slower hiking.

They do take some getting used to. They are 'minimalist' but once you get used to not having your feet 'insulated' from the ground you might not want to wear anything else!

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 8:35 am

I've been using Inov-8's exclusively since first trying them a couple of years ago. I started with the Roclite 315's, but have changed to the Terroc 330's for the wider toe box. I use the 390's in the winter with snow gaiters. My reasons for using them are the extreme light weight, quick drying, and better than average grip (grip depends somewhat upon which model and main useage). I get about 300 miles of thru hike use on some brutal trails (rocks and roots) before relagating them to local hikes.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 8:41 am

My particular odd foot problem is just limited to my right foot, my left foot is normal.

My right foot curves inward a bit. When I line up my big toe and heel with the insole, by little toe overhangs the side. Wide shoes don't really help. With leather shoes I can stretch the area right at the little toe and that can help. At least it's worked with Patagonia's leather shoes. I can't wear most sandals due to the shape, the toe strap usually comes in right where my little toe is.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 8:45 am

I use rocklite 315s I dont use anything else for running or backpacking. They have solved all my problems, with some adjustments. My little toe tucks under the next toe and I used to get a blister between my toes.Even before I found inov8s i was cutting a hole in the insole to let my little toe drop lower away from the next toe.
I found that my boney heels stick out too much just to the outside of the centre line of my feet. I now take all new inov8s, put them in a stream of steam from a kettle and apply the rounded end of a wooden spoon handle to the right point on the inside of the heel. I can get enough permanent stretch to make room for my funny heel.
Now the inov8s are perfect for me.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 8:49 am

I've got two pairs, the Rocklite 318 GTX for use 99.9% of the time and the Rocklite 390 GTX for use in terrible conditions or snow. I like both equally which is to say they are my backpacking shoes of choice right now. They are extremely lightweight and very functional, but I really don't have a heck of a lot of confidence that they will last for a long time because they are so light. I could be proven wrong, but I only have a couple hundred miles on both so only time will tell. If they get ragged too quickly, I'll probably choose something else next time just to save money. If they last a good bit, I'll probably try them again as otherwise they're a pretty good shoe for my needs.

Adrian B BPL Member
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I too have used Inov-8s a lot. Models I've used:

Terroc 330 + Flyroc 310: very similar/identical fit, nice wide forefoot/toebox. Flyroc is more flexible, can be tiring for your foot arches if you're not accustomed to it.

Roclite 315: narrower than Terroc/Flyroc (sizing overall seems smaller too). Upper looks the most durable of the ones I've seen.

Roclite 295: wider forefoot than 315, so closer to the 330/310 in fit (but still not the same). Upper is similar to 310.

All have great grip, are light, dry fast. To get more mileage out of mine I cover the mesh seams where it joins the sole with SeamGrip, this fixes the quickest problem which is the stitching unravelling and holes appearing on the join between sole + mesh. But eventually holes will still develop, another weak point is the lace loops which break.

Monty Montana BPL Member
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I've been using the 390s for winter and the 370s for summer use, as I find the mid-height style more compatible with gaiters, and provides the security of extra support for a weak ankle. I have to admit that I was sceptical at first because they're so flexible – just the opposite of what I thought a hiking shoe should be. But after a few hikes I feel in love with the moccasin-like feel and lightness while trundling down the trail. Recently at REI I saw the 315s and was sufficiently impressed to maybe try a low-cut shoe next time I need to replace one of the others.

Donna C BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 3:51 am

I have a pair of Roclite 320's. I went 1/2 size larger and did continuos hiking for 200 miles without any problems. They fit my feet better than many trail runners I tried on when I was looking. I've also done some trail running in them as well. I don't like thick soled shoes and these allow more control of my feet than boots or other low cut hikers.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 7:15 am

I have been using inov-8 shoes for 4 years and couldn’t be happier. I need a wide toebox, so the best choices for me are the 295, 310, and 330. The 330 was a bit too stiff for my taste. The 310 has been my go to shoe. I have gone through one pair of 295 which are a lot like the 310 but have a shorter lifespan but more cushion.

I also sometimes use the 390 in the winter. If I bought a pair that fit with my normal socks the toe box would be too small, but with them sized for my winter socks the toebox works.

A wrote a brief review of the flyroc 310 several years ago.

Bill B BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 7:29 am

Mark,
I use the 295 for the wide toebox. How do the 310 & the 330 compare with the 295 for width? Why do you choose one over the other? Do you wear the same size in all 3 shoes?
Thanks,
Bill

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 9:41 am

Bill,

I have been using the Terroc 330's for about 2 years and just bought my first pari of 295's.

The Terrocs are about the same if not a little wider in the toe box than the 330's.

I bought size 8's in both cases and I am not noticing a sizing difference between the two…minor thing, heel of the 295 is a little wider than the 330s.

My concern was that the 295's would be too narrow in the toe box for me.

Walking around the house with them for a few days, seems fine to me…think you would be okay with the 330's.

In my case, I am hoping that the 295's will have a little more cushion than the 330's.

I think that the sole of the 295's is going to last even less than the 330's, which is the one downfall of the Innov8 shoes…poor tread life.

I am getting less than 200 miles per pair and have resigned myself to buying a new pair per year.

That said, I love how light they are and how well they drain water after creek crossings.

-Tony

Sam Haraldson BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 10:25 am

I've been wearing Inov-8 shoes for all my non-snowboarding outdoor pursuits and daily wear since late 2006. I put 600 miles each on both a pair of 310s and a pair of 330s. I've used the 390GTX for the past two winters and springs as well. If the fit is right for you the performance will match.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedMar 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I think the 295 is just slightly narrower than the 310/330/345 but pretty close. I wear the same size in all three (10.5). I can't wear 10.5 in most of the other models, I have to size up at least 1/2 size for my toes not to be cramped.

The Flyroc was the first shoe I tried in 2004. It wore out pretty quickly so I tried the 330. The 330 lasted in the same range as the 310 and wasn't as comfortable for me, so I went back to the 310. I think I am on my 12th pair now. Last fall the folks at zombierunner suggested checking out the 295 so rather than buying my normal 2 pairs of 310 I picked up one of each. I like both, but I will most likely go back to uthe 310 because it's soles seem to last longer.

–mark

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 4:34 pm

I use the Roclite 285 and they have really held up well… much longer than I expected. The sole grips like glue on wet rocks… really amazing. Dry super quick too. My feet almost never sweat in these. Very low volume shoe. I usually wear thin liners for socks. I expect to replace these with a like pair when needed.

Oh, I use lock laces with them too.
I love not having to re-tie on the trail, after a wet morning.
Also love how they keep my feet secure from sliding in the shoe, but still give so little resistance to bending that they almost feel untied.

Can't comment on the shape of my foot… it's an ugly old foot that seems to fit in whatever I cram them in.

Edit: Hey, there they are, in that picture.
<–

PostedMar 5, 2009 at 9:40 am

Really great input guys – thanks!

Interestingly enough I asked a rep for Backcountry.com if the toebox width varied from model to model and he gave me a very vague no as an answer and essentially said they are all wide. I also emailed Inov-8 but have yet to hear back.

I need a wide toebox too but have a fairly narrow heel. I usually size up at least a half size. We'll see how these work out. I bought a half size larger, and a full size larger to see what works. 50% off, too! I'm excited to test these out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Loading...