Topic

Packing the Jam2

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedMar 1, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I remember an old forum post (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13835) about using a sleeping pad to give the Jam2 a bit of a frame for packing it more efficiently. Has anything changed? Do people still even use a Jam2 or has everyone moved on?

How do you pack your Jam2? If you use a sleeping pad, which one do you use? Barrel method or folding it flat?

I guess I'm just looking for some new ideas.

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedMar 1, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Chris,

I switched over to a Jam2 last year….my 1st frameless pack.

I use the Gossamer Gear Night Light Torso Pad, Sit Pad, and Thinlight full length pad. (The sit pad is optional and I use it as a pillow in my case by folding it in half to create a wedge shape to give my head a little lift).

I fold the torso pad into thirds to create a stack of rectangular pads. This is easy, as the Torso pad is precut to easily allow it to fold this way. I Put the Sit Pad in the middle, so really I have a stack of four.

I found that it is easier for me to slide it into the pack by putting the folded pad into a plastic garbage bag, as I have found that the foam is "sticky" and snags on the sides of the Jam2.

I then place this into the pack so that it is directly against my back and serves as a defacto ridged frame to hold the shape of the pack from crimping in the middle of my back. It also gives my back some cushioning from things like a solo bear vault poking me in the back.

The Thinlight pad I can stuff into the main pack on the left or right side, depending on how much extra room I have. Otherwise, I simply roll it up and secure it to the outside of the pack along the left or right side with the compression straps.

This has worked for me for the past year fine.

I have not tried doing in a barrel shape, which is not possible with my torso pad.

Hope that this helps you out.

I had the same question when I first got my Jam2.

-Tony

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 10:32 am

I just purchased one and am going to have figure out how to make it work….since I use an inflatable mattress, I'm not sure my pad will cut it. Though I may bring a chair kit to use as an internal frame…people on the "Reader Reviews" section discuss how they use it and some have expressed success with this technique as well as Tony's lighter pad technique.

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 10:49 am

I use a sleeping pad in the barrel/burrito setup to give my pack some shape. I have used all kinds of pads like this. Everything from a Prolite 3 to a Wally World CCF pad. The size of the pack keeps the pad rolled up, and all you're really looking for is a little structure while you're packing. I put sleeping bag and clothes on bottom, other gear in the middle, and anything I might need quick on top. As for the back padding, if there is any overlap, I position the pad so the over lap is against my back so it doubles the padding. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: I use this method with the Gossamer Gear Whisper or a similar type homemade pack. I have never owned or used a Jam2, everything should work the exact same way.

Zack Karas BPL Member
PostedMar 2, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I have the original Jam and fold a torso length foam pad into thirds and then use that as a virtual frame. With the side compression straps this has become my most comfortable pack used for long distance hikes. I've even had it loaded with 10 days of food and had no problems (granted, it wasn't the most comfortable thing the first few days, but it worked).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...