Topic

Aussie coming to Houston

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Aussie coming to Houston

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi all,

Hopefully I will be Houston later this year and wanting to know of any good spots to hike in the area or not too far from.

Any links or info you might have from your experience would be great.

Cheers
    Mark

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I lived in Houston for many years. Great place for restaurants, art, medicine, and employment. I cannot recommend hiking in the area aside from urban parks.

If you reach Arkansas or central Texas your options improve.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Thanks Jeremy, that's a shame to hear. Hopefully I can find something.

Cheers

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I always feel sorry for anyone having to go to Houston. But the people who live there always go on and on about how great it is, 100 degree / 100% humidity, nightmare trafic and all. You can always go to Galveston / Port Boliver, and go a long ways down the beach. I was in REI there, and remember seeing some big maps with what looked like hundreds of miles of trails there. You can also check web sites like http://www.texasoutside.com/hikebike/houstonhikingtrails.htm

and http://www.bayoucityoutdoors.com/clubportal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=3&pubmenuoptID=9078

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

Check out the 129-mile long Lone Star Trail:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/lonestarhiking.shtml

Hope this helps,
    Rod

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

If you want a pleasant walk through typical east Texas woods, try Huntsville State Park, which is north of Houston. Late May through September can be very hot and humid.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

So what kind of shape is the Lone Star Trail in? I had heard it had some problems, before the hurricane. Anyone done any of it?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You should go see Big Bend National Park, even though it is several hours away. I'd bet there are organized trips out of Houston in the fall you could take part in.

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

Enchanted Rock is pretty cool, around 3 hours from Houston.

Also, The Goodwater Loop is 26 miles around Lake Georgetown, about 2 and a half hours from Houston.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools