Topic

drop stoppers under wind gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) drop stoppers under wind gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Would drop stoppers hold up well layered under
    wind gear after the dwr on the wind gear is over
    whelmed? Or maybe under a soft shell when it
    starts dumping?

Anonymous

Been thinking about the same thing, just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Is the purpose to protect your drop stoppers raingear from abrasion? If so, then maybe layering a nylon windshirt on top can help. May need to size the drop stopper one size smaller.

As for softshell, I would hate to expose that as first layer of defense in a hard rain. Once soaked, it’s just that much heavier to wear or carry around, and will take quite a while to dry out! I would rather just buy “normal” rain gear and be done with it.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I was thinking about bringing them on ski tours
    and winter SAR when conditions appear clear, instead of the light but sweaty precip stuff or the breathable but heavy Gore/eVent
    stuff. Wouldn’t wear them unless the weather changed and would just add them under the outer
    layers when they were soaked. As cheap as they are
    I could give them to the rescue victoms and not worry too much about getting them back, unlike a $200 parka. I need the outer layer to hold
    up to and slow any slides for life, which a soft shell works well for. Mainly wondering if I wore it under
    other layers if it would keep me dry in bad weather
    and hold up well enough to ski in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools