Topic

What do you use for navigation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What do you use for navigation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

Just currious what other people use to navigate?

I use a Brunton 8096-AR compass and a Garmin 60GSX GPS.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

USGS topo map and suunto baseplate compass, can't remember the model…

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I use a topo map, the compass and the altimeter on my Suunto Vector wrist computer.

Jon Hancock
    Spectator

@bigjackbrass

Locale: Northwest England

Generally I carry a Silva Ranger 27, a very compact sighting compass which conveniently doubles up as a mirror.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Suunto A-10 compass.
    $12, 1 oz., all I could ever need.

Unknown abc

@edude

Silva 2 Explorer and topo map of area.

Never did like GPS units.

cheers

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Suunto GPS Plotter Compass. Has a UTM scale for my Garmin eTrex H. Also, the scale makes nice arrows which make it easier to sight the bearing, and the global needle allows me to tilt the compass up enough to read the bearing while quasi-sighting.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I carry a Garmin 60csx, full colour screen and top maps.

This isnt the lightest thing to be carrying but I really enjoy the calculations it provides (altitude, kms/h, distance travelled to name a few).

Perhaps the main reason I take this out with me is so that I can download the waypoints and load into Google maps. It's great to be able to see where I have been and to be able to share with others.

Also take a photo-copy from a map of the area…just incase technology fails me.
    Cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Suunto MC-2 and USGS Topo maps. I've got a Garmin etrex Venture HC, but have never used it. Probably won't either.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i almost always have a map, and almost always it's a topo

i've usually carried a compass along, but i don't think i've ever actually used one to navigate – always just used a map along with visible landforms for navigation, even when going off trail

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

I'm carrying an old Silva Boy Scout compass that I've had for almost 30 years. That and a topo map and I'm good. Recently, I've been playing with a Magellan Triton GPS. It's a fun toy, but my compass doesn't need batteries.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use a 7.5 minute topo map. If I need the compass or GPS I am aready lost.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

If I have a trail I use it. If not the sun moon and stars. When I am in completely unknown areas I might bring a map but usually not. I dont recall ever using a compass. I dont like to be rushed so I dont set too many expectations of where I want to go. I just let my body do what it feels like. Since I usually dont know where I am I never feel lost. Ali

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ali, the body navigator ; )

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

Garmin Vista C with topo map and UTM coords., and a paper topo map (with UTM grid). Sometimes I bring a UTM grid tool for more precision (like "Where's that darn water spring anyway?"). I also bring a Brunton 26 (small sighting compass) primarily for its mirror, and an itsy-bitsy Montbell compass/zipper pull on my lanyard.

But it's not really navigation; I could probably navigate without any of the above, since I stay mostly on-trail. However, and as others have pointed out, I enjoy the geographic snapshots I take, to know exactly where–and when–I was at any point on the trail, and to record special waypoints for future reference. Further post-processing of the GPS data meets all my mental masturbahtion needs: average rate, time/distance between points A, B, C, D…, and even break times.

I'm a bit dismayed that the latest GPS units are simply heavier and larger (OK, larger screens are good), which have delayed any thoughts of upgrading.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I wish I was technologically savy enough to post my trips on to google maps using my garmin 60gsx. I tried to do it before, but alas, I failed…

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I use a map and my Suunto M-2D. I'd love a GPS, but there are too many other things to buy first and I'm not ready to go cross-country yet anyways. So really, I navigate by following the trail.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If you're practiced with your map and compass you should have no trouble going cross country. GPS is not required.

Justin Chaussee

@judach

I have no problem navigating with a map and compass, however, I do like bringing my GPS as well. Not only is it helpful for obtaining your coordinates and location quickly (which you can cross referance to your map), but on a more entertainment note, it makes it easy to record your hikes. I use it to save the hikes I've done so I can come back to them in the future (especially if its an "off trail" track.) If I really needed to, I'm about 99% positive I could successfully navigate myself through the wilderness using nothing but a safety pin, a leaf, and a little bit of water… But that's just plain inconvenient.. ;-)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools