Topic

Pro-bar, Clif-bar like recipes needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Pro-bar, Clif-bar like recipes needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Is there a US equivalent to Vector?

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I'm impressed with all the effort many of you go to in making bars.

I'm sticking with my personal favorite the Big Sur Bar (any flavor). Hands down the best bar on the market. I just buy in bulk and put in the freezer.

One bar has approx 650 calories, 100 carbs and 28 fat grams. Works out to about 131 calories per ounce.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Joe,

I'm not sure what is available in the US comparable to Vector. I'll be picking up a box this week and I'll compare the nutritional info to some of the US cereals online. I would imagine there has to be something.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Greg,
    Thanks for the scientific answer! It's the extra effort made by folks like you on this forum that make it the premier site. No bias, no bull! Thanks!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

"Egg can be important to bind an item – but yes, you can replace it. You can do a slurry of flax seed to replace it. It won't taste the same but it will add the "mouth feel" and the binding. Also give more fiber."

Ground flax seed or whole flax seed, and just mix with water to make a slurry? I have tons of flax seed around that needs to be used up… The longer shelf life would be nice.

V S

@stinkygoalieguy

I tried Sarbar's recipe last night and it was delicious. I reduced the amount of brown sugar and added protein powder. Next time I may eliminate the brown sugar so that it is not as sweet.

Regarding the oil, is there another lower fat liquid we could put in it place? Would soymilk work?

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Applesauce and baby prunes both work well for oil. Use 1:1 in swapping out. Sometimes though your product will take longer to bake, so check if the item needs longer :-) Add 5 minutes, check, another, etc.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Does anybody have any experience with Hudson Bay Bread? I tried making some from the recipe in Lip Smackin Backpackin, and it turned out to be pretty good, despite seriously overbaking them (first time using this particular oven). I don't have the recipe right here with me, but it's basically lots of butter and honey, oats, and some nuts & raisins all mixed together, then baked into bars. They seem to have a very long shelf life, and are very tasty.

I've got to start experimenting with these other recipes, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools