Topic

Mesh/netting questions for MYOG tent.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mesh/netting questions for MYOG tent.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Three questions on mesh and netting:

1. For California/Sierra use does anyone see a need for "no-seeum" extra fine mesh? I hate how it doesn't let much air flow through if the wind isn't blowing. Mosquitoes and deer flies are the only things I've ever been bothered by. I'm planning to go with regular mosquito netting for my pyramid's door and vents.

2. Strong mesh. I'm going to use some amount of mesh for the peak of my pyramid. I haven't decided whether it will be more of a window panel or the entire last couple feet of the pyramid. It will be under stress and ought to be as strong as 30D silnylon. Do I go with regular mosquito netting or something like non-stretch "rawhide" from OWF (pack pocket type material), backed by mosquito netting to keep the bugs out? Has anyone seen a good strong mesh that is still tight enough to block mosquitoes?

3. For perimeter venting along the base of my pyramid- will regular mosquito netting tend to get torn up a lot from ground contact? If so I'm thinking a strip of netting then a strip of 1.1 or 1.9 basis weight silnylon for the sod cloth that would be in actual contact with the ground.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

As far as #2 goes i don't think you'll find a light weight mosquito mesh with the strength you need. However, if you sew 4 grossgrain straps in that start in the center of each panel where the sil meets the mesh and the straps meet at the top they will carry the load for you instead of it falling on the mesh. You can seam them in or leave them unattached to the mesh as long as you account for a way to meet them at the top and to hold the pole in.

-Tim

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Tim,

I had thought of that but it seems the straps would create point loading. It's sort of similar to the question of whether to make reinforced seams that stretch less than the surrounding material, or try to have the seams mimic the panel behavior.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

regarding #3: I have a well used 5 year old floorless MYOG tarptent with a noseeum (not nano) skirt that just lies on the ground. I routinely set boots, water bottles and other loose gear on it. No sign of damage yet.

So I don't know about nano … but if (WHEN!) I make a lighter version (spinntex and nanoseeum), I'll likely treat it the same way.

But I wouldn't use any kind of mesh for a sod cloth on a shelter that will be used in the snow. That's not likely to last long and even if it did, it'd be a real pain in the backside.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've had the same thought about no using noseeum netting. All it does where I live is stop a nice evening breeze.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

"But I wouldn't use any kind of mesh for a sod cloth on a shelter that will be used in the snow. That's not likely to last long and even if it did, it'd be a real pain in the backside."

Agreed,

This will be a four person family tent for mostly summer use. Bug protection will be the #1 use, rain #2.

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

Here is a picture of the net shelter, I made it for our family of four. I used regular noseeum. At the top, I only used a little round patch to reinforce the top. It has held up for 10 years. It was large enough until my son grew taller than his mom. The kids kept knocking over the center pole (and thought it was so funny) so I used my ski poles in avalanche probe mode on the outside to hold it up. The shelter was made to fit inside a magamid.

pyr tent

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Ken,

How much does your shelter weigh? I might be better off doing a simple pyramid for rain, and something like yours for bug protection. The Black Diamond and Golite bug shelters seem pretty heavy.

Jim

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

It weighs 2 lbs 6 oz. That is with a heavy floor. It would be lighter with a sil-nylon floor (also, more slippery for the kids).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools