Topic

Need Advice on Which Headlamp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need Advice on Which Headlamp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    James Lee

@jleephoto

Locale: Triad

I'd vote for the Petzl Tactikka XP. Have a great long term relationship with my standard Tactikka. The red lens makes a world of difference around camp to keep from annoying camp mates and preserve night vision. After having used it a while, I can't imagine ever not having the red filter on a headlamp.
    The Tactikka Plus has a wide (but not long throw) fine for lighting the immediate surrounding area, but the XP is more of a spotlight AND has an extra boost feature that lights up the world for about 20 sec. if needed.
    They're non-regulated but the batteries on my last so long and wanes so imperceptibly that I'm always surprised at how bright it is with fresh bats. I'd think this would be preferable to staying bright right up until it dies.
    The PT series are Petzl's closest competitors I'd consider but my Petzl has proven it's durability time and again.

Peter Burke

@fishmonger

Locale: Midwest

red LEDs use a lot less power than the white ones. I'd rather have a light that toggles to red LEDs than to chew through the battery, only to filter out light I don't need.

Lawton G
    BPL Member

@disco-1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Jim, many thanks for the great synopsis on regulated vs. unregulated. Learned a lot there. Both the PT Quad & EOS 2 look like superior headlamps for nighthiking, but I personally don´t want a headlamp over 3 ozs and both these headlamps with NiMH reachargeable batteries are over 3 ozs.

I still haven´t come to any firm conclusions on ¨which headlammp¨ but I´m leaning towards the Fenix LD10 although I am not excited about the limited battery life 6 hours at 47 Lumens. 34 hours at 9 Lumens is great but 9 Lumens is going to be borderline on bright enough to nighthike with. LD10 weighs 1.7 ozs without batteries so throw in 1 NiMH AA and you´re close to 3 ozs. Wish it could be a bit lighter and the LD01 is an alternative but the battery life on that madel is really low.

The search continues.

Nicolas Costes
    BPL Member

@ncostes

there has been several version of the Tikka+ with better and better Leds.Yet although the peztl website describe the improvment, there is no clear marking of the version on the products (probably to help deal with inventory in the distribution channels).

I have found the tikka + to be suitable for camp duties, and walking along trails but a bit weak for trail making.
    The Myo XP (I got the last year updated version ) is very very bright, I only use the high beam when finding route at night. the diffuser is a must have for avoiding blinding others at night. but not as good as having a red filter on the tactikka.

Although I understand the benefit of regulated Leds,I have not pulled the trigger yet.but probably will on the Petzl RXP.http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=667

you can find picture of projected light on http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=219357&page=3

I have on question though for the OP:
    Why this obsession for grams ?
    A lamp is for me a safety item (finding routes in the moutains), I would not skimp on a few grams with the risks of having a light which does not last 8 hours on usable level. (had several epics which required marching through moonless winter nights)

Lawton G
    BPL Member

@disco-1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Does anyone have any info on the lumens output in high and low modes for the Pak-Lite SUPER White LED Flashlight?

http://9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/5414

The battery life is amazing . . . 1 rechargeable 9V will last 30 hours on high and 1 lithium 9V will last 80 hours on high. Now if the brightness, beam length and pattern are legit . . . this 1.5 oz light seems like a great lightweight option.

Paul Davis
    Spectator

@pdavis

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W

All: I'll add my voice to those who find a red-lense useful on headlamps.

Here in the Yukon with 20-hour long darkness in the winter I use a Petzl Tactikka with the red lense on the lowest setting to give just enough light to restore depth perception when snowshoeing and walking. I like the fact that it clicks to adjust beam angle. I use it on blink mode when walking with a pulk sled on snow-covered roads. If I were out for longer I would have to have one with a remote battery pack, like the one for my bike.

Another option, much more difficult to use with mittens on, is to carry an ARC-AAA light with the pen-style pocket clip clipped to the neck hole of your balaclava, or brim of a ball-cap in more temperate climates.

ARC's can be had 2nd hand through the Candlepower forums site mentioned somewhere above. I trust the ARC to be waterproof and survive anything, including such horrors as breaking through the ice etc, and still work, which I would not expect of any headlamp!

60N 137w

Blair Gentes

@blastreach

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation.

Has there been any advancements in the past year? When do Petzl, BD and PT release new models?

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools