Topic

ULA Conduit and torso fit issues

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Curious – after reading the BPL review on the ULA Conduit, the biggest criticism of the pack was the torso size. According to Will, he felt that it was too short.

Scouring the web for some further perspective on this, I did find a post by Brian indicating that he felt the hipbelt on the Conduit and Relay was more of a waist belt, hence the issue with some folks indicating the torso sizes run small.

So my questions are now for Conduit users:

A.) What is your measured torso size and what size Conduit do you use?

B.)Do you find that the torso sizes on the Conduit run short?

C.) Do you counter this by riding the belt higher and has this improved the fit?

Thanks,

PostedFeb 28, 2009 at 12:37 am

A.) What is your measured torso size and what size Conduit do you use?

I'm a 21" torso and have a M/L Conduit.

B.)Do you find that the torso sizes on the Conduit run short?

Measuring my Conduit, it is almost exactly 21" from where the shoulder straps join the pack, to the bottom of the hipbelt.

C.) Do you counter this by riding the belt higher and has this improved the fit?

The pack rides high on my hip-bones.

The Conduit is one of the most comfortable packs i've ever used. I almost always use a GG Torso pad in the sleeve, and have found this to be the best option for me.

Robert Carver BPL Member
PostedFeb 28, 2009 at 5:30 am

I have a 20.5 inch torso and use the m/l pack. I find it to fit me perfectly. I wear it just as I would any other pack. Not too high, not too low. I cut a piece of ridgerest to use as a back pad. Great pack.

PostedFeb 28, 2009 at 7:22 am

Thanks guys. I just don't understand the BPL review then. Maybe Brian made a running change. Max compression (i.e. where the frame might begin to fail).would still put it at 19".

PostedFeb 28, 2009 at 7:55 am

David,
Hopefully someone else with good recall can help out here –

There is a post between a forum member and Brian regarding the Conduit stating the Conduit has a Waist belt, not a Hip belt. That at the intended light weights a hip belt is not needed and the belt on the Conduit is really for stabilization only.

It is a fundamental difference that places the belt higher than one typically used as a hipbelt, hence the 'fit' confusion.

(edited for clarity, I hope)

PostedMar 2, 2009 at 8:42 pm

David,

A. My Torso Measure is 21"

B. I haven't found the M/L to be short for me.

C. The belt does naturally ride a little higher than other packs I've tried, but not much

Before I purchased my Conduit, I read the same review. To be honest, I didn't I haven't felt the pack was seated improperly. Brian @ ULA did make a fairly considerable adjustment to the way that the straps attach to the pack so that they wrap around the shoulder area better. I had the older style straps, now I have the newer. I'll agree with other comments made here- the pack is the most comfortable pack I've ever used for 15-30 lb. loads. A few caveats- I think I have a relatively high waist, considering how most clothes fit me. I also have a pretty strong back and shoulders and don't get fatigued easily. I think I just hit upon the prefect design for me. So much so that I just can't seem to switch packs no matter how neat other options are looking (including ULA's own new Ohm pack!). I might just have to replace mine with the '09 version but I would miss the roll-top closure!

I've used the Golite Jam, the GG Mariposa, and a MLD frameless pack (can't be sure which) and I feel the Conduit is the pick of the litter. Of course, with all packs YMMV.

If you're unsure of what size to get, shoot Brian an email or call him. He's always taken the time to help me out and I'm sure he's answered this very question many times. I'd buy with confidence.

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 8:38 am

I am a 22" torso, and I got the biggest size pack he sells (M/L), and it fits me great. I don't know if I would "push" that limit at all though. It seems to be pretty true to the 22" top-end measurement.

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 10:16 am

Thanks for the insight guys.

I tried on a fully loaded Jam 2 (about 20 pounds) in L size and a previous generation M/L in the Conduit and….the Jam fit better for me. I found that the shoulder harness was sufficiently long such that where the straps attached to the pack body was only about an inch below the crest of my shoulders whereas on the Conduit, the attachment point was about 2.5 inches lower. For me, I prefer to have a little less compression of the 'virtual frame.' So I will likely give the Jam a try and if it doesn't work jump over to ULA.

If it's any consolation to ULA fans, I just ordered an OHM and have a Circuit and Relay (!!).

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 10:30 am

My torso length is 23 inches. I should not have pushed the 22 inch max length recommendation on the ULA website, because the M/L Conduit was too short for me.

I returned the pack and have ordered an Ohm (I hope it fits, I hope it fits….).

Dan

PostedMar 3, 2009 at 10:41 am

It should fit (I assume you ordered the Large). The delron frame prevents much vertical compression. I tried on a Large Circuit once and found the torso length too tall!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...