Topic

Fabric types for rugged bike bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric types for rugged bike bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I'm looking to make extended seat bags for my bike (like 20L), but I'm not familiar with all the fabric types and looking for some advice. Most bike bags are bombproof stuff, almost canvas, which is not what I want. But I also don't want 0.9oz nylon either. This will be above the rear wheel, so I'm expecting sand and grit to be flung at it often, so a happy medium weight fabric would be ideal. I was checking out http://wiki.backpackinglight.com/MYOG_fabrics_sources and there's just so many options. The dyneema x gridstop looks great but was pretty expensive. I'm thinking coated would be good, and from what I'm reading it sounds like 200 denier is about the weight that would be suitable for this. Anyone have advice? What kind of fabric isn't too expensive, but can handle some good abuse?

Thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Look here for inspiration. You'll have to dig a bit though…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would suggest coated 500 denier Cordura.

Cheers

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

for a little less money you could do an 8oz packcloth. It's not as tough as the cordura Roger Suggested, but it's not weak by any means and a lot cheaper if i remember correctly.

-Tim

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

Greg, that's where I first saw the idea. I wanted to not have the weight of racks, and be able to just un-velcro a bag and walk away. Unfortunately Carosel doesn't seem to have ANY info or details on the site other than some pictures, and I emailed them with questions over a month ago and never got a response. Am I missing something, is there actually information hidden somewhere at that site?

Epic Designs was much more responsive, but their products are still a bit more expensive than I was hoping for, so I was thinking of making my own.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Andy,
    No, he doesn't provide many details, and it is difficult to get any sort of timely response. But close scrutiny will show construction details, reinforcements, doubled layers,etc. Sorry if I sent you on a wild goose chase.

His gear is preferred by most GDR riders and is bombproof. A lot can be learned there.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Is this for on-road or off? Do you expect to have brush contact? How much rain?

I can say that my 1000 denier Cordura bags are extremely tough, heavy, and with lots of zippers require rain covers even after seam sealing.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

If you want to make the bag waterproof, consider using heat-sealable fabrics in weight that will be rugged enough for your use (200 and 500 denier fabrics is available).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools