Topic

Suggestions for how to make a G4 Pack smaller?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 7:20 am

I just got a G4 pack. It's very big. I don't want to send it back. It'll be the right size when I have to use a bear canister.

But I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for ways to make the pack smaller when I'm not carrying a bear canister.

It has loops on the sides and I thought maybe I could compress the bag with them. But that would interfere with the pockets and doesn't compress the pack very well anyway.

I could put my pad inside to use up some space.

If there was a way to keep my quilt from being compressed with my other gear that would use up some space and benefit my quilt. I tried putting it in my sunshower and blowing up the sunshower, but the air eventually leaks out.

I suppose I should just get a smaller pack, but I thought I would see if there was another solution first.

PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 7:40 am

When I first started backpacking I would put my pad in, and pack the bag "burrito" style. When I did this, I put my quilt/bag in the bottom, and waited a little while. It lofted some, and then I packed my clothes and waited some more. Put the rest of my gear on top, and usually, no matter the load, the pack would be "full". I know this is time consuming, but I could only afford one pack at the time, and it was to big for some short trips. I know this isn't the best solution, but it was the most practical for me.

Note: With this, the contents of the pack would "settle" and by the end of the day, my pack would only be half full. However, if you could make the hole in the center of the pad roll smaller, this would push the bag higher in the pack and take up more room. Just thinking out loud.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 8:46 am

How about running the compression cords under / thru the mesh pockets. You might lose a little pocket volume where the ribbon loops are, but it should work. And I don't think you can compress your quilt enough to hurt it, by compressing the pack. Or use an air mattress, and inflate it to fill the additional volume after you're packed.

PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 11:42 am

just my thoughts so take it for what its worth, especially having never seen one of these in person.

i'm thinking you could run a bugee cord or cordlock system thru the ribbons and to the ice axe loop at the bottom. if you criscross it i would think it would compress pretty well. you would still have acces to the side pockets. or, you could cut a few holes in that back mesh pocket and have this cordlock system run under the pocket.

personally i wouldn't worry about compressing the quilt, people have been compressing their bag for years. i usually put my down bag in a garbage bag at the bottom of my pack so it is very loose and lofty, but throughout the day i need to compress my pack a little as everything settles.

hope this helps
ben-

PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 1:28 pm

I have a Mariposa Plus. Similar design as G4. I lace shock cord from upper ribbon loops across the back, then crisscross the cord like shoe laces to the lower ribbon loops, then through the ice axe loop with a cord lock that allows me to cinch up the chock cord and compress the pack quite well. I route the shock cord behind the mesh pocket where it does not interfere with access to the pocket. Before I discovered routing the cord behind the mesh pocket it really was not a problem accessing the pocket.

PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 3:33 pm

So that's what that loop is. For an ice axe. I had no idea.

I'll try threading cordage like you've described and see how that works.

I had another idea that I could sew some small loops inside the pack that would allow me to clip a little shelf in. I could pack my quilt, clip the shelf in, then pack the rest of my items. Of course, then I couldn't put my pad inside.

But I'll try the criss-cross compression first. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...