I have fly fished before but am not an "experienced" fly fisher. Next August some friends and I are planning a trip in the Beartooths. Several of us plan to do some flyfishing while there. What flies, etc should I plan to carry?
Topic
Fly fishing question
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
There is a fishing forum here also farther down the list, but is less active.
(I'm in the same group trip)
I've have always had the best luck just stopping in a local shop, and asking someone there "what is working?" They will usually tell you whatever is the hot ticket, and sell you some.
Steve, Joe is right – be sure to check with the local fly shop. But in most of the lakes in the Beartooths (and streams too) the fish aren't especially finicky. Take your standard dries and streamers; attractors and terrestrials(adams, wulff, grasshoppers, beetles, PMD, baetis, wooly buggers, etc) and you'll do just fine.
The better fishing in the Beartooths is lake fishing so you might consider a spinning rig instead of a fly rod. I don't have one but wish I did every time I camp by a lake.
Become a member to post in the forums.

