Topic

available silnylon colors?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear available silnylon colors?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean Walashek

@caraz

Locale: bay area

Is there a list of available colors anywhere for silnylon? I'm looking for a light green or tan brown silnylon in the 1.9 oz. 1.3 is also fine but where do I find if it has ever been made in those colors?
    Thanks
    Sean

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

emerald green and jade
    http://seattlefabrics.com/1.3%20oz%20Silicone%20Impregnated%20Ripstop%20Colors.htm

turqoise green
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/fabric%20coated-cart.html#SILNYLON%201.1%20OZ%20RIPSTOP

what's with all the companies barely carrying any colors right now? i thought thru-hiker normally carried more 1sts. not that it matters since i've only bought gray and get it from speer hammocks anyhow. 1sts for 8.50 a yd

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

It's true: sil nylon colors are limited to gray and what's left of earlier dyelots.

It's a really troubling time for the textile industry both here in the US and abroad. The sil market has been in disarray since the epa lawsuit that shuttered the Duro finishing plant. Much of the supply, even 1sts, these days is of questionable adequacy for backpacking canopies, as the hydrostatic head pressure has been impacted by the changes in the finishing process. These changes apparently don't impact it's primary application: parachute canopies.

In order to keep up the specs to what I think is adequate I have to run dye-lots, and because of the high yardage requirements I won't be running anything but the most popular color (grey) going forward.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Great,

I just bought some Sil 2nds from thru-hiker on the basis of a post here claiming they were fine….is this a bad idea if rain is expected?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the only place i know of for 1.9 is Seattle fabrics. They do carry a nice medium green, however it must be noted that the fabric is coated on one side not impregnated on both sides like the 1.3oz sil we're all used to. It is a very nice fabric and i use it for packs and tarp/tent reinforcements.

1.3 can be found at OWFINC.com in the standard green you see on SMD and antigravity gear shelters.

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools