Topic

How to pack a frameless pack?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:51 am

I'm buying a pinnacle and it will be my first frameless pack. I have a prolite 3 sleeping pad right now but will I need a ridgerest to make a frame? Does this mean I won't get to use the prolite?

Do you have any other tips for packing a frameless pack?

Thanks

John S. BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 1:28 pm

You never need a pad to make a frame, but you can. For my packs I do the following in this packing order:

1. folded GG nightlight torso pad against back (strap side)
2. add liner (pad not inside it)
3. sleeping bag sideways at bottom
4. add food, extra clothing, any gear not wanting wet
5. close liner
6. add other gear on top that can get wet

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 1:32 pm

John,

My pack is packed the same way but substitute a Torsolite for the nightlite.

Simple and effective.

– Dana

PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I have always packed my frameless packs with food at the bottom and light stuff on the top. I prefer the low center of gravity. I use 2 vertical stuff sacks on top of my food bag followed, with other things on top and around those to create a virtual frame. I also have a sit pad (14"x20") against my back for solid padding and a bit more frame.

If you are ok with a higher center of gravity, packing light stuff at the bottom and heavy stuff at the middle or top will transfer the weight to your hips better. If you do this, keep heavy things really close to your back. Things like tent poles can also act as a virtual frame.

Packing your pack to create a virtual frame depends heavily on what gear you carry. Just keep in mind what could be used to make a virtual frame in your kit and to be sure to compress the pack well to avoid sagging.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...