Topic

Tyvek Zipper Ditty Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tyvek Zipper Ditty Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I had a used Tyvek postal service bag lying around and decided to remake my old emergency kit zipper ditty bag in a new lightweight form. This type of ditty is much more useful for getting at first aid supplies and other gear you want in one place. I loved my old OR zipper ditty, but it was too heavy (Cordura) and I was faced with either a silnylon sac (drawstring) or a Granite Gear Air Sac which were all too big. I had seen plans for a simple draw-string ditty somewhere on the web, so I was inspired.

First I measured out the size I would need (adding a bit for seam allowance) to hold the contents of my current emergency bag and then cut them out of the tyvek bag.

Very basic, no frills pattern here:

Tyvek Zipper Ditty Bag Pattern

Note: PDF diagram not to size – be sure to measure as appropriate

In as few a words as possible, I assembled it as so:

1. Fold the handle piece into thirds and sew down the middle.

2. Sew bottom and sides of the first end piece.

3. Sew bottom and sides of the second end piece, and inserting the handle (sewn in step one) as appropriate. Reinforce handle by folding it back and sewing along seam a few times.

4. Then I sewed the zipper to the center pieces at the top.

5. Finally, I sewed the top of both end pieces, finishing the bag.

The assembly is pretty straightforward, as long as you understand the whole “work inside out” and do a bit of thinking as you put it together.

Took me about 20 min of work.

It turned out quite well – and I’m not much with the sewing machine. By sewing it out of tyvek at the exact size I needed, I was able to cut a few oz from the silnylon ditty bags I was reluctantly using and at the same time recycle a postal service bag (that I got from ordering something from Gossamer Gear).

Optional: I also made a simple envelope to hold the Aloksak bag that holds my first aid supplies – it lies at the bottom with the rest of the gear on top.

It weighs in at about 0.25 of an oz.

Enjoy.

Pict of final item:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools