Topic

Goose down vs Duck down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Goose down vs Duck down

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I have been doing some research on this. General conclusion:

1> When the fill power is the same, the quality is the same.
    http://www.myluxurymattress.com/blog/goose-down-comforter-vs-duck-down-comforter

2> When downs are cleaned and processed correctly they do not have an odor. Any down that has not been properly processed will have an odor, whether duck or goose down.
    http://www.downmark.com/consumer_information/fraud.htm

What do others have to say on this. pls dont give personal opinions. I am looking for facts.

Peter Gurin

@intheswim

i was looking at a graph a couple days ago that compared the two and it showed goose to be better in all situations.

-sorry i can't find it again. 8(

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I know goose down items are more expensive than duck down items. Goose down items are normally lighter too.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I've also noticed that cheap bags for hunters use duck, not goose down. However, the lightest of all, and the most expensive, is down from the Eider duck, so they say. You have to hand-pick the stuff from unused nests, since it is an endangered species (I read somewhere). So, at least some ducks are cooperating with the UL movement.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

http://www.featherind.com/FAQ.html#6
    6. WHICH BIRDS PROVIDE THE BEST DOWN?
    Generally speaking, the best down comes from larger, more mature birds. When age and maturity are equal, goose down is better than duck down. However, down from an older duck is better than down from a younger goose. Larger Down has an extraordinarily high warmth-to-weight ratio. A duvet or sleeping bag filled with this down will be very light and incredibly warm. And it will last for decades.

On the other hand, poor quality White Goose Down will have smaller Down. It will not loft up, and has a rather low warmth-to-weight ratio. Even if there is more of this down by weight, it won't be as warm. Down from younger birds not only tends to have poor filling power, it will also tend to collapse in a relatively short time, because its fibers are too fragile. This is usually the difference between an inexpensive goose down product, and an expensive one
    7. WHAT IS EIDERDOWN?
    Eiderdown comes from the Eider Duck, and it is considered by some to be the finest quality of all down. It is also the most expensive. This down is unique in that it clings to itself, resulting in superior insulating power. The Eider Duck is a protected migratory species. Down is collected by hand from nests without disturbing the birds

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I gathered more info from same company in December.

The cling or stickyness is typical of down from wild migratory birds. Inuit Arctic down (from the Canada Grey Goose) is another example.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I got this email from featherind:

Can 90 (white duck) is a odorless down because it is processed properly.
    The fill power is very high because it is from an older mature duck which has larger and denser down clusters. It is also 90% down content by weight.
    It is cheaper than lower filling power goose down, because it is duck. There is much more duck down produced in the world than goose down. More ducks are raised for their meat than geese. It is also a marketing advantage that retailers and merchandisers have promoted for many years, "goose down is the best". But that is simply not true. You must compare "apples to apples".

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

>you must compare apples to apples<

If you used apples as insulation, would it be called ciderdown? :)

I'll get my coat………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools