Topic

Skurka from the Hayduke Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skurka from the Hayduke Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Hey all –

Just a quick "Hi" from Escalante Outfitters in Escalante, UT, near Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monumnet. 328 miles down, some 470 to go. Making good time, about 1.5 days ahead of pace right now.

It's been a good last few days, but about a week ago, for the days before and after Hite, I was having a heck of a time. The Hayduke had me on my knees begging for mercy — there were a few days when I woke up in the morning, I thought (again) that it might be my last. I was having specific trouble with Class 4 scrambles that were covered in snow in order to get around pour-offs in Butlter Wash and Youngs Canyon… And my shoes (a pair of Vasques that I was testing for the Boa lacing system) completely disintegrated, with big rips that I had to patch together with Krazy Glu, SilNet, and duct tape. So much for reliabibility on technical smearing…

Carried my snowshoes for the last 180 miles but never needed them, so now I am going to ship them home becuse I don't feel like carrying them anymore. I would definitely need them in Bryce NP (I thought I would need them in the Henry Mtns but did not) but I am going to bypass that section — this is just not a snowshoe trip, period.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

How do you deal with a shoe issue like this? Replace them in return for web access at a good outfitter?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

You know, I saw this post earlier today and didn't think anything of it…I mean, the guy walked across the continent. I just now googled the Hayduke Trail (yes, i had not heard of it) and read the website – WOW, is all I can say. Keep us up to date!!!

For those interested:

http://hayduketrail.org/

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Details of Brian Frankle's 2005 hike can be found Here.

A most enjoyable read.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Andy, maybe we can meet again when you come down my way… I still owe you that meatball sandwich!
    haha
    peace, and happy hiking. Mike

Anonymous

There's also a great article in Backpackinglight Issue 4 on page 18. Hardcore! Go Andrew!

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

I have the Vasque Aethertech SS's and the BOA lacing is more fragile than I anticipated. My laces are still intact but I've worn numerous holes in the shoes and the plastic side panels had to be cut off due to coming lose.

I think the plastics of a BOA system make it more brittle and fragile overall. Since I only have the use of one hand they make life easier for me though.

Glad to hear your booking it down the trail Skurka!

Rod Guajardo

@rod_g-2-2

Locale: Central Texas

Andy,

Did you take your SPOT with you? If so, do you have SPOTcasting turned on so we could track your progress via the website?

Have a great hike,
    Rod

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

How the heck do you cross the Colorado after the descent from Nankoweap? Wait for a nice raft party?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

"How the heck do you cross the Colorado after the descent from Nankoweap? Wait for a nice raft party?"

Yep. And if you make it easy, by locating at an eddy where they can get to you after they see you, it's a done deal. But don't expect them to pull upstream just to give you a lift.

The hard part is getting out after drinking a beer. ;-)

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Reporting from the South Rim. 4 min left on internet time.

All is going well. 182 miles left, all of which should be really exciting. Can't wait to get on the Esplande out there around Great Thumb Mesa.

Done in a week…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Way to go Andy.

Impressive as usual.

Did you hike Up to the South Rim to make this report, intending to then hike back down and continue?

If so …

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Hey all –

Finished up earlier today and getting geared up for another RRR run tomorrow (funny timing with the article being published this week — I had written it based on my experinece last April doing RRR).

Very climatic end of the hike. The Esplanade is the best layer of the GC, from what I can tell — great views, and great hiking, especially west of Great Thumb. Too bad so many people get out that way — the side canyons of Olo, Matkat, 140 Mile are total playgrounds.

Won't be back in Colorado until the wee hour of Monday morning, and I hope to have some pictures and other things posted throughout next week. Video too.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Great job Andy, look forward to the pix….

Chris Schoen

@walkinchris

yeah cant wait to see the video.
    greetz from germany =P

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

Man the Teaser Photos!

We want the whole enchilada.

Can't wait to check out a full update.

Julian Plamann

@julianp

Locale: San Francisco

Those teaser photos look great! I hadn't even heard of the Hayduke Trail until I ran across this thread. The way it looks from those few pictures alone, I've got another long distance trail to add to my to-do list.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I finally got around to making a video from all of my clips tonight. You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3my8nPumX6A.

Pictures and other content went up earlier this week on my personal site: http://www.AndrewSkurka.com/CANY09.

I'm hoping to get working on the Hayduke Trail mapset this week, though completing my taxes takes precedent first.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Great stuff, Andy! I really enjoyed your video. It was entertaining and seems to capture the spirit of your journey.

A quick gear question. Y-stakes are listed in your gear list. I've also relied on Y-stakes on the Colorado Plateau but even they tend to pull out of the soft soil in windy conditions. Often I'll tie off to bushes or rocks. How do you get the stakes to hold? Thanks.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

On the 5 occasions when I set up my shelter, the Y-stakes held well, no problems. I think the key is planting them deep, and in something that is more stable than beach sand. Putting heavy rocks on the top of the stakes helps a lot too.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting your trip on the Hayduke in video and picture form. It's very inspiring. Keep up the good work.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Thanks, Andy. I'll be studying your gear list in preparation for my next hike in canyon country. Your trip report got me inspired to get out there again.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The links on Andy's site are failing for me.

I'm trying to access Diet and Gear.

Anyone else having success getting the PDFs to open?

Thanks…

Edit: on the third attempt I got the PDFs. Possibly the site is being overwhelmed at the moment….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Andy,
    In you Gear List you have a CoolMax LS Shirt, Thumbloops, with Integrated Hood, 8.1 ounces ….

Can you divulge the Maker, model, and possibly a source?

Thanks.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Andrew,
    I just watched the video. I wish you would run for president.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools