Topic

Bivy solution for use with multiple bags?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

Here's my issue: I have two sleeping bags that generally cover my all-year use: a a left-zip 30(F) degree bag, size regular and a right zip -20(F) bag, size long. If it matters, the 30(F) is shelled with Pertex Quantum and the -20(F) is shelled with an older Gore Dry-Loft.

I would like to purchase a single bivy for use in all seasons and hence with both bagsI have never used a bivy before. Use would be under a tarp or other floorless shelter in all seasons. (And yes, I know Mike C. does not use a bivy on his NOLS trips – he's awesome like that). Full bug protection is a must.

I have been looking at the MLD Superlight and the TiGoat Ptarmigan. The MLD has a partial side zip, which I like; but it is not long enough to fit the winter bag without going a size up. The TiGoat does not have a side zip, but will fit the winter bag without a size increase. As stated, the lengths are different on the bags, as are the zips.

How much importance should I give to the side zip? Right now, it looks like I either need to go with the TiGoat or a large SuperLight.

Any ideas?

John Brochu BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 11:46 am

You can get a half-zip on the tiGoat bivy for an additional $25 or so.

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Matt,

I have the MLD Soul Side Zip and my friend, Jeremy, has the Superlight. (1st bivies for both of us).

The Side Zip is a nice luxury in my mind.

At night I frequently get up for restroom breaks and the side zip really makes it easy.

Age old issue: lower weight vs. features/convience.

Plus, I think that having the Side Zip would make it easier to "stuff" your bags into the bivy as you are making camp.

My bivy is in the large/wide option and Jeremy has the Superlight in the regular.

I know that his 15F Marmot Helium bag is a bit snug inside the standard bivy.

I would recommend getting the wide option considering that you might be using this for your -20F bag so you don't compress the loft of your bag.

Ron makes some great stuff and is generous with his advice.

Call him and I am sure he will give you his thoughts on your best option.

Let us know what you decide.

-Tony

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Hi Tony,

Is there also a 6-8 week wait for Ron's bivies? Also, I've been wondering if you've decided on a quilt yet.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 3:17 pm

When I originally ordered my Soul Sidezip bivy from Ron it was to accomodate various seasonal bags. Shortly afterwards I went the Nunatak quilt route, but am still glad I have the convenience of the zip. As Ron said to me, "If you are 20, slim, and flexable you could probably do without a zip". I'm not close on those counts, so I'm glad that I can use the zip to get in and out with little effort.

Tony Wong BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Kendall,

This is off the MLD website from today:

******************ORDER INFO & NEWS:01/30/2009**************

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Thank You to all our Customers and Friends and we wish you lots of outdoor fun and adventure in 2009.

Our oldest order in the Production Queue right now is about 7 weeks old – A lot shorter than the 12-16 weeks from Summer 2008!!! Most new orders are taking about 4-8 weeks right now. (Your order viewed online will always just say "pending" and that is OK.) Thanks for your Patience while we build your Awesome SUL Gear. PHONE: 540-588-1721

We have hired new production help in our shop this year and hope to start cutting down the order wait times as Spring arrives. Many Thanks, Ron.

Peace

Ron

Ron's stuff is definitely worth the wait in my opinion.

Without hijacking this thread: I decided against getting a quilt to replace my 40F Marmot Atom sleeping bag. The quilt that I was looking at would have been 22 – 24 oz and the combo of thermawrap pants and sleeping bag is 26 oz and I get to keep $450 in my pocket. I was hoping to use the quilt to keep me warm in the low 30's and high 20's. Then I thought, do I want to have warm legs/pants in temps like that while in camp? Yes, so the thermawrap pants gives me duel usage around camp and in my sleeping bag. I realized that as a cold sleeper, I know that I will be happier with my 2 lb 3 oz 15F Marmot Helium EQ bag when the temps are in the low 20's….cost vs. weight. Cost won.

-Tony

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...