Topic

Carbon trekking poles under stress in a pyramid style shelter

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 7:53 am

Anyone have experience of using linked carbon trekking poles in a pyramid style shelter?

I use my TiGoat poles with tarps, and don't have any worries about them breaking, even though they can develop quite a bend. However, the one time i set them up with my Hex 3, they bent so much that i stopped using them, and now use alum poles. For some reason i just didn't feel confident with them.
I've used carbon fishing rods, and know they can bend a good amount without breaking, but when they do 'let go', they do it big style!
Is the compression different under a pyramid style shelter, or am i worrying about nothing?

Roger B BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 9:13 am

Sounds like a physics problem to me. I use aluminium pacer poles with my shangrila 3 which do not show any signs of bending. My suspicion is that in a Hex the force is vertically down on the top of the pole and thus provides a greater bend to the poles. Whereas on a tarp the force (possibly less) comes from the ridge line as well as the side pull outs and is not directly downwards.

I will be interested to hear other viewpoints on this.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 9:24 am

Mike… I used the TiGoat poles in similar situations, but extended toward their maximum length there is a real danger of the upper part of the lower pole splintering if put under load. This happened on the Sublite Sil test I did (see photos in the new BPL article). Although the poles held up, one of the shafts developed several cracks about 15cm long at the end of the interior pole.

Rick Dreher BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hi Mike,

I've used Leki and Komperdell 3-section carbon poles, linked using the Black Diamond gizmo, to support my Hex 2 with no issues.

There's carbon and there's carbon, and it may be that the TiGoat poles aren't designed with adequate lateral stiffness for the task. The Lekis and Komperdells definitely are.

Cheers,

Rick

Jim W. BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 10:50 am

A related question is what method of linking two poles is best? Tip to tip or handle to handle with straps? Tip to tip with a sleeve?

Although I was expecting that handle to handle would be better, the large grips on mine caused a fairly large offset from the centerline of one pole to the other, resulting in non-linear loading. Tip-to-tip with nylon cord wrapped in a self-tightening arrangement seemed to work quite well- the offset between pole centerlines was only the diameter of the smallest section.

Tip-to-tip also eliminates the need for a reinforced grommet at the tent peak.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 11:26 am

Thanks guys.
I'll probably stick to the alum poles if i'm using the Hex 3. Johns experience with his TiGoat poles is enough for me. I want peace of mind in the unpredictable Scottish weather. I'll try them again with my DuoMid when that arrives.
I use the Black Diamond pole connector with the poles, tip to tip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...