I already have a GG vapor trail and really like. I've heard that the durability of the circuit is a little better, but now I need to get a pack for my dad and don't know if I should get the vapor trail or circuit. Let me know which is better, comfort wise and it's overall design (not so sure what GG was doing with the compression straps going over the only pockets on the outside). Also, I am open to other comparable packs.
Thanks everyone
Topic
ULA circuit vs Granite Gear vapor trail
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
Plenty of circuit fans on this site. The circuit has a lot more options for pockets (2 hipbelt pockets, 1 kangaroo pocket on back, 2 side pockets) whereas the GG only has fairly lousy side-pockets (IMO). The circuit is made from Dyneema-X which is much tougher than the vapor trail. Comfort is a personal thing, but most people seem to think both packs are comfy. They both have well-padded hipbelts, though I think the vapor trail may be a bit cushier.
The other main difference is that you can usually pick up the vapor trail for quite a bit cheaper… often only around $100 or so on Gear Swap. Oh, and the vapor trail has a ridiculously large extension collar which annoys many users because it is so tall it gets in the way.
Bottom line is that both packs have satsified customers. I have a GG pack but I'm going to be buying a ULA circuit for the durability of the fabric, and the extra pockets (note you can get extra pockets for the vapor trail, but it adds extra weight and cost).
One other difference is that the vapor trail has a much bigger internal volume (particularly with extension collar). But the compression straps are pretty good for making it small when you want it to be. The circuit is a smaller pack from an internal-volume point of view.
Regarding the pockets, I was exchanging emails with Granite Gear's customer support about this. A new Vapor pack called the flash runs the strap UNDER the pocket. I asked if this was going to be on the other packs. This was the response I got from them (and a relatively quick response at that).
You are correct; the compression strap will now have the ability to run behind and/or over the pockets on our packs. This option is a new feature for our packs and some production runs have already integrated this change. All of the production runs starting 1.1.09 have this new feature, and all subsequent production runs will integrate this change as well. You should be seeing new packs in stores soon!
I don't know what that means for when stores will actually get them in stock. I assume this will vary from store to store and includes variables such as inventory levels.
I used to have a GG VT, but I recently went to the ULA Conduit (smaller than Circuit).
The VT was comfortable, but it had almost too much padding in the back panel, and the hipbelt. The hipbelt was comfortable, but a little overkill. ULA's hipbelts are more minimalistic, but more comfortable (for me at least).
It seems that GG puts all the weight in the pack pad and belt, rather than more durable material. The ULA packs are much more durable overall, in terms of material.
Pockets. My old VT had that old over-strap pockets. Completely retarded. The angle of the ULA pockets allows much easier bottle retrieval.
Become a member to post in the forums.

