Topic

Home Grown Gear Makers

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedFeb 24, 2009 at 10:36 am

I thought I'd start this thread as a place to identify and salute those gear providers (manufacturers) who actually make their inventory locally.

To get this rolling, I'd like to salute Wintergreen Northernwear in Ely, MN. This firm makes absolutely first-rate winter clothing, all sewed locally in Ely. So far as I know, they are the second largest employer in Ely.

Website is http://www.wintergreennorthernwear.com/

While their gear isn't noted for light weight, it is thoroughly tested and very practical for deep winter activities.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedFeb 24, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Many 'cottage' brands manufacture their products domestically. Fanatic Fringe, Gossamer Gear, Henry Shires, Mountain Laurel Designs, Six Moon Designs, Titanium Goat, ULA, Zpacks are some that come to mind.

But when it comes to the big, mainstream, 'souless' brands — I shop for quality/feature/value — and don't give a hoot where the stuff is made. Given global sourcing and all, shopping for "American" products is pretty much a meaningless exercise — excluding certain "cottage" brands — such as the ones mentioned above.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 2:00 am

Since my mate in Alaska is using the stuff right now , I like to mention RBH Design,http://www.rbhdesigns.com/, often left off the list.
But Ben is right. If Henry Shires had his Tarptents made in Melbourne , I would still buy them.
Franco

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...