Topic

Shell jacket pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Shell jacket pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Can anyone recommend an available pattern for a shell,with full zipper and hood?
    I've been looking and come up with everything but….Thank you in advance.
    Patrick

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas
    Isaiah Laderman
    BPL Member

@ilader

I used Backpackinglight's shell pattern to make a jacket with a waterproof zipper out of eVENT. I also made chaps. The jacket is heavier than I'd like, due to the very stiff waterproof zipper. The chaps are shorter and simpler than most: just crotch-length tubes, with ties to hold them up to my belt. The chaps are really light and convenient, and I made the jacket long enough to cover them. Both are really compact.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

What truck did the eVent fall off of?

Ben Hicks

@mountainhick

Locale: Rocky mountains

Indeed, where can one get eVent for MYOG?

Yvette Stanton

@withkids

I recently completed making a windshell. I didn't want a hood – preferring a hat instead. I searched for a suitable pattern because I really wanted a raglan style sleeve, with a full zip front. In the end I found some free patterns at shelby.fi.

I was able to adapt their Vuokatti shirt for what I wanted. Their shirt was made in knit fabric, and I was using Pertex, so I went up a size from what I would normally wear and made a prototype first out of synthetic lining fabric – scraps I had leftover from making some other clothing. I added a full-length zip down the front. I made a couple of adjustments to the body shape, and was very happy with how it worked out.

I then embarked on the Pertex version, using my adapted pattern. The Pertex was really nice to sew with, making lovely crisp seams.

You can see my finished product at my blog:
    http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com

It weighs 93 grams with its little stuff sac and 89 grams without. Very happy with the results.

I'd also like to thank Roger Caffin for sending me a pic of the Backpacking Light shell top that he designed (accessible only to subscribers) so I could evaluate whether it was what I wanted before subscribing. On this occasion it wasn't, but I am grateful to Roger for taking the time to send it to me.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

That wind shirt looks sweet!

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Nice job Yvette! I've also been looking for a raglan sleeve pattern to make a vapor barrier. I've been trying to figure out how to modify Roger's pattern, but this looks just about perfect. I just need to add pockets, a half zip and a hood, and learn to sew.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Yvette

My pleasure.

Nia:
    since my pattern is anything but raglan, Yvette's approach is much better if raglan is what you want..

Cheers

Adam Hurst

@stormcrowe

Locale: Midwest

I think this is a project I might be able to handle! SO far I have only sewn a baffled down quilt and a poncho tarp. I really want a simple windshirt and I think this is the ticket! You rock!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools