Topic

How to sleep without FRICTION??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How to sleep without FRICTION??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christian Guertin

@cguertin

Locale: New England (& ADKs)

I have found that sleeping on any kind of slope results in a night of slumber-sledding. That is, the ground cloth(plastic, tyvec, etc.) is slippery, sleeping pads are slippery, nylon bags or bivy sacs are slippery and together it seems to be a problem. How do people get around this?

Yes, I know, “Find a flat spot to sleep!” But we all know that isn’t always possible. Thoughts?!?!

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

This was allways a problem for me until I started sleeping in a bivy. Now I never wake up off my pad — nowhere to go!

Anonymous

For surfaces that have a silicone finish (e.g., sil-nylon), use some silicone sealant (like GE Silicone II) thinned with mineral spirits and paint on a light coat on the contact surface. For surfaces with a urethane finish (e.g. regular nylons without silicone), use a urethane based sealant such as Aquaseal or GOOP. If you don’t want to thin it, just apply in thin lines. You don’t need to put on too much, just on the main contact areas. A little increase in the static coefficient of friction goes a long way.
    (It beats tying yourself to a stake in the ground)

Oatman

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Two suggestions:

1. As above, apply lines of sealant on your tent floor to minimize sleeping pad slippage.

2. Secure your bag onto your pad with these straps:

http://www.rei.com/product/47777090.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I’ve switched to a NeatSheet as a non-slip groundcloth. Works great. For slick shelter floors, striping it with some silicone seems to work against mild slopes.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Slumber sledding. I like that.

Try putting silicone sealant or if silicone doesn’t stick, Shoe Goo, on the bottom of your sleeping pad. Either one will create friction against silicone impregnated nylon. However, if your pad won’t take either glue, put silicone sealant on the ground sheet. The best silicone I’ve found for this is Duco’s Automotive and Marine 100% Silicone Sealant and Glue. It is less likely to rub off than McNett’s Silnet. Sil sealant works with silpreg groundsheets. Barge’s cement works on Tyvek. I don’t know of anything that sticks reliably to plastic sheeting.

One thing: If you don’t stake the groundsheet down, it may slide on the ground, obviating your efforts to increase friction between the pad and the groundsheet. You can use parachute cord to tie the groundsheet to the tie-outs on your tarp. For simple Tyvek or plastic groundsheets, just tie a sheet bend in the up-hill corners of the sheet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools