Topic

TT Rainbow tricks

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I posted this before, but Seth touring Patagonia with his Rainbow made me think that maybe this workaround is not as obvious as it appears.
Many have commented about the Rainbow being too exposed to the wind, this is how you can drop the fly down to ground level, not recommended for a standard set up because it (surprisingly) cuts ventilation down to an Akto level. (Macpac Microlite if you are downunder).
Just dig a 2" or so hole under the pole tips, the floor will loose it's shape, but you can still prop up the corners from the inside (if it's raining as well)
keep also in mind, if you want to push the limits of the Rainbow, that you can :
1)insert a thicker (stronger) pole, like the 9mm version hidden somewhere at the TT site
2) use the ridge pole guyout points (08 version)
3) attach trekking poles to the grommets at the end of the cross apex strut (08 version)
Franco
Note that I am using a dip in my lawn, could be a little lower again.
rainbow low

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Excellent suggestion Franco. I'm one who likes to be able to "batten down the hatches" when the wind is howling. You don't need much of a ventilation gap to prevent condensation when it's really windy. No doubt you can tailor the size of the hole to the height of the gap you want to leave.

I don't have a rainbow, but it's on my list for when I get a 1P tent (I'm usually with GF).

I guess you prefer the contrail because of the lighter weight?

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 6:26 pm

We've had heavy condensation in a DR with strong winds blowing all night. The trick was to lower the windward vestibele to ground level by 'cross-staking' the vestibule. Very very sturdy when staked low like that! Lowering the whole tent is a new one on me.

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Ashley
Don't tell anyone, but I like to use the Contrail because I can fiddle with it and prove its critics wrong…
Lynn
I set very low standards for myself , much easier to achieve. So this comes pretty natural to me..

For the High Achiever ( wanting more ventilation) ….
( Gossamer Gear were so impressed with this shot that they now have light bricks available for this, same foam as the new mats)
Rainbow high

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Lynn
We do have something in common , we both like to fiddle with gear.
Confess it if you found a "perfect" item what fun would that be ?

Free joke (sent to me by Spike last night)
I had a pet herring
he got sick
and died
Now he is cured

Franco

PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 11:12 am

>Confess it if you found a "perfect" item what fun would that be ?

It is such a hypothetical question that I can't answer it. There couldn't conceiveably be a 'perfect' piece of gear, so no chance of a cure for me. We could dream of a tent that is weightless (helium filled?), actively vented (solar fans and heating?) totally waterproof and utterly spacious tent that sets itself up with the flick of a switch. This hypothetical tent would allow un-obstructed views of the heavens at night, yet turn opaque on hot days to keep the sun out. In fact, this tent would remain totally dark inside until you flicked another switch. You could cook in this tent (it would be inflammble of course), stand up in it. But then you might as well just stay home!

PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 11:16 am

Lynn,

You forgot the oder-cloaking capabilities of the dream tent, which would allow one to cook in a tent in bear country.

PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 11:28 am

>You forgot the oder-cloaking capabilities of the dream tent, which would allow one to cook in a tent in bear country.

Not needed in my dream tent (no bears here), but an ensuite shower and toilet would be nice ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...