Topic

Contrail tricks part two

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Contrail tricks part two

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This was prompted by some questions regarding using tent poles (rather than trekking poles) with the Sublite Sil.
    So I tried it with the Contrail.

Top picture : as you can see it stands up quiet happily with four pegs and a pole. But to me this is the wimp mode and the one that some like to winge about.
    Note what happens when I add my "storm" set up, using the added mid rear pole (about 1 oz, called "The Trick Of The Tail) and the provided front guy line point.
    Put my usual tension to it and you have a …bent pole. Still standing but…
    Now add a second pole , better isn't it ?
    (the second pole of course can be a stick, the stays from your backpack or whatever you can think of . It can be shorter than the first.
    WARNING
    Be very careful when you do this not to puncture the apex of the tent. Think long and hard before you do it. A good application og duct tape over the pole ends can help, just make sure it stays under the re-enforced patch. ( I inserted a screw inside the pole with the head shaped so it would fit exactly inside the grommet)
    The Sublite already has two poles, you may not need anything else, however keep this in mind.
    (my red poles could be thicker/stronger than the one provided)
    Yes I know that it will be obvious to most here…
    FrancoContrail light
    Contrail bent pole
    Contrail light plus

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Franco,

I'm impressed at your ingenious setup. With the "floating" floor it would be most appropriate for use in the hotter climates of the OZ interior.

Joe Clement camps in our southwestern desert and could benefit from your technique.

Talk about minimizing your footprint.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Denis
    The floating floor was accidental, those pole sections are a bit too long but I wasn't about to cut them or have a look through my pole collection to find the right size.
    However, yes it is the "extra ventilation" mode for the Contrail, works the other way too.
    I take it that Joe has the Sublite Tyvek for that? I will play with one of those soon (Vista version)
    Franco

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Will the Vista get you back to 10?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have the optional pole that Henry sells with this and use that as I don't take poles around here in the Midwest as everything is flat. What is this pole that you use for the rear and do you have any pictures of it?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

No Sublite yet, but I'm tempted. Just need a job first. I would like the floating floor though, I could feel rocks thru my air mattress this weekend, when I sat up. And that was the smoothest place I found. And look, I'm a heretic too –Lunar Solo

Hey, my other tent is a Double Rainbow! And I really want a Sublite, I just want it with a second layer of Spinnaker fabric along the flat section on top.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Joe,
    I'm sure it's just the shadows on your shelter, but, the material does look like well used denim. Perfect for a truly southwestern backpacking experience.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I don't know if I'm camera challenged, or what, but Nikon's autocorrect program is doing some strange things to my colors. But not denim.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I have been asked again about the rear pole that I have installed in my Contrail, the one that Quoddy has adopted for his Sublite Sil.
    In my case it is just a pole section with the end of pole tip (the bit that slots into the grommet) turned inside out so that the guyline can be threaded through it.
    So when the Contrail is stored the end connecting bit remains attached and all I have to do is slide the pole inside it.
    Quoddy from memory is using a custom made 2 piece CF pole, but it can be just a stick if you are confident in finding one where you camp.
    Please note that it is an added feature not necessary at all in most situations. When not needed I still use it because I prefer that shape.
    Believe me it makes a huge difference in strong wind and heavy rain (combined with the front apex guyline in use )
    My pictures in the Contrail in the wind demonstrate that.
    Franco

Joe
    That grey is a difficult colour to render at times, it can look anything from blue to green.
    Contrail full help
    Trick of the Tail

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

Hey Joe,

Where are you in that picture?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools