Topic

Bear Bag Rope

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 5:05 pm

What's the lightest rope to use for bear bagging? Will a simple 75 lb test polyester or nylon rope from Wal-mart work?

I figure there is probably some special UL rope you guys can tell me about that costs $50 – $75. But of course, I'd rather spend the money on a merino wool shirt.

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 6:32 pm

This is interesting. I just now came across a place that sells spectra line (up to 500 lb test) for pretty cheap: http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/profile.shtml?standalone=1&index=1058399660_9034

That's about half as expensive as other ultralight cord I've seen, about $17 for 125'. I'm not sure it's the same stuff, but it's almost as strong as the bear bag hanging line I've seen for sale.

Edit: I forgot to answer your question. The line I use is 725 lb spectra line that's 1.2 oz for 50'. I got mine from Gossamer Gear.

Dana S BPL Member
PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 5:39 am

John,

I credit Jason Klass for this tip. What he recommends is Braided Mason's Line from your local hardware store. I believe the line i bought was less than $10 and it was for 300 or 500 feet. I forget of the top of my head.

http://tr.im/masonline

It's very strong and has a slick nylon fiber. Also, it's braided with a "flat" side so it will not saw into tree limbs. My bear bagging line/mini stuff sack/mini caribiner for the PCT method weighs in at less than an ounce. This doesn't include my food bag/OP liner.

– Dana

PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 6:00 am

Anti gravity gear sells spectra online, 50 foot with a silnylon stuff sack for 25 bucks, I think…

Elliott Wolin BPL Member
PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

Spectra is also used by parachutists. A while back I searched the web a bit for round and flat Spectra, and found it significantly cheaper at a parachute supply place (don't remember where, but it was easy to find).

PostedFeb 23, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I just use cheap nylon cord from Wal-Mart's camping section. I think they call it utility cord. It works fine for 1-2 people for a weekend, and weighs about 3 oz in a light weight ditty bag.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...