Topic

Almost made my own lightweight “backpack”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Almost made my own lightweight “backpack”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

So I had this crazy idea to make a backpack out of a silnylon compression stuff sack.

I tried packing all my things in it and they seemed to fit. So I made a couple of quickie modifications to the compression sack to make two of the compression straps work as the backpack straps and looped another strap around the bottom of the sack as a waist strap.

I think this will work if I can improve upon it. I'll see if I can find an old backpack in a thrift store and use its straps instead. The compression straps are not comfortable as backpack straps.

Stuff Sack Backpack

It weighs about 6lb with all my stuff in it including 8oz of water and 1 day of food.

I still need to add a poncho (don't have one) and I think a bug net that fits inside would be better than my A16 that I just stuffed under the compression straps on the outside.

It would also work with my The One tent instead of the bivy/tarp/bugnet combo, too, and then everything would be inside.

Anyway, it was a quick test to see if it would work at all. What do you think? Stupid idea?

Unknown abc

@edude

good work!

this is similair to when someone made that pack out of a dry bag awhile back.

-Evan

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

you can get pre-made shoulder straps from OWFINC.com and other places online that should do better than a school pack's salvaged straps.

It is basically like the z-pack stuff sack pack, so why not

-Tim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools