Well, I have been digging through the forums for the last couple of weeks trying to decide what synthetic insulation layers I should be investing in. I have learned about MET and clo values but still need validation that my plans are reasonable.
I actually went ahead and ordered a couple of things (MB Thermawrap jacket and Patagonia Micro Puff jacket) but am second guessing the Thermawrap jacket…see below.
I am 5'11" and 185lbs
My backpacking is mainly done in the TN/NC/GA mountains where moisture is the norm all year and winter is a variable season with average winter lows at typical 3000' altitude to be 10-15 degrees but can get down to zero in extremes.
My plan so far for insulation layers while stationary (sitting and talking ie 1.5 MET):
Winter: Planning for extreme low of 5 degrees and average of 15 degrees
-Lightweight synthetic long sleeve shirt
-Lightweight synthetic tee
-Patagonia Houdini windshirt
-Microfleece pullover (REI MTS Heavyweight)
-Micro Puff Jacket (new one with Climashield Green)
-Integral Designs eVent rain jacket
-MB Down Inner pants
-REI Sahara Convertible Pants
-Golite Reed shell pants
-Integral Designs Hot Socks w/Tyvek overboots
-Mountain Hardwear Windstopper fleece beanie (Dome Perignon)
-Patagonia R1 Balaclava
Spring/Fall: Planning for extreme lows in the mid 20's but average low is 32F
-Lightweight synthetic long sleeve shirt
-Lightweight synthetic tee
-Patagonia Houdini windshirt
-MB Thermawrap Jacket
-Integral Designs eVent rain jacket
-Mountain Hardwear windstopper fleece hat (Dome Perignon)
-REI Sahara Convertible Pants
-Golite Reed shell pants
Now the questions:
1) In light of Richard Nisley's recent post about the clo value of the MontBell Thermawrap parka being so much better than the jacket, should I return my brand new unused Thermawrap jacket and go for the parka for Spring/Fall use or just stick with the jacket?
2) Will the Micropuff Jacket be enough for these winter conditions or do I need to bring my WM Flight jacket or another layer along as well?
Thanks for any help.

