Topic

Fire Bed and Icebug Kalix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Fire Bed and Icebug Kalix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Has anyone used the technique of builing a fire and then either burying the coals and sleeping on them, or clearing the coals and sleeping on the warmed earth? If so I would be greatful for some ideas on how to do this, etc

ANyone used the Icebug Kalix boot?

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I had a friend who was quite into muzzleloaders and “rendezvous”s. He would build a firebed, when I asked him he said you follow the tooferate rule-2,4,8. The fire burns for 2 hours,you put 4 inches of dirt on it,the orginal hole you dig to put it in is 8 inches deep. The hole was about a foot wide. He’ld line it with dry stones and build a fire . After it burned down pack dirt on top and then pine needles for insulation. Bingo. I backpacked and climbed with him for years and a health issue led him to the mountain man lifestyle ala driveup…I was always glad he found another passion. Sorry I can’t remember more, try a survival or muzzleloader website.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools