Topic

Sleep pad

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 8:21 am

Can anyone recommend a sleep pad for a quilt. One problem with pads and quilts is the tenting effect which leaves a void that is hard for your body to heat up creating cold spots

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 8:32 am

I cut my ridgerest to a tapered end so that it fits nice into the footbox. I also have a Pacific Outdoor tapered inflatable pad that fits well.

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 9:39 am

Depends more on the temperatures than on whether you're using a quilt v. a bag, IME. I don't secure my quilt's straps around the pad or insert the pad into the footbox – just around me. If I'm reading you right, the former technique is what creates the 'tenting effect.' I don't see any advantage to that. Using a Tarp+bivy combo or an enclosed tent most of the time, and wearing at least a thin layer of clothing, drafts have never been a problem for me.

That said, I've successfully used a RidgeRest, Nunatak LunaPad, BPL Torsolite, and Exped Downmat 7 depending on the temperatures.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...