Topic

2009 GG Squall Classic?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Sharon Bingham BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I emailed GG a few days ago to see what the expected ETA is for this tarptent, and I haven't received a response yet.

Has anyone else had better luck, or have more info?

Mary D BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm

I too am still waiting. Gossamer Gear has everything else in stock that was held up due to the Spinnaker shortage, plus a number of new items. In fact, so many have bought "The One" that they ran out again. But the only sign of life on the Squall Classic page is mention of the new 2009 features, and that's been there since December.

Maybe the delay is just as well, because, before I commit to the Squall Classic, I want to find out more about the new 2-person tent Henry Shires is supposedly about to release.

Have you put in for your "in-stock" email alert?

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Signs of life on the Gossamer Gear website!

"WE WILL BEGIN TAKING BACK ORDERS FOR THE SQUALL IN APRIL FOR DELIVERY LATER IN THE MONTH. CHECK BACK SOON FOR FURTHER UPDATES."

[caps theirs, not mine]

The new 2-person Tarptent turned out to be a 2-person version of the Scarp. l was hoping for a 2-person Sublite Sil, but no such luck.

GG has recently come out with a silnylon Spinn Twin tarp. I wonder how much a silnylon Squall Classic would weigh? Maybe 2 oz. more? Still lots lighter than the Tarptent Squall 2, and less expensive than the Spinnaker version!

Sharon Bingham BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Well, the April deadline is news to me. Last I heard (they eventually returned my email), it was in March sometime…

/sigh…

Lol. I can't wait until this puppy comes out. The changes for 2009 sound like GOOD improvements…

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 8:33 pm

My need is for an approximately 1.5 lb. tent that will hold me and my 80-lb. dog AND provide enough ventilation for both of us. I tried the SMD Lunar Solo, but it's too small when confined to the tent for rainy periods, and the two of us completely overwhelmed the ventilation system on rainy or frosty nights. I have found that Henry Shires' tent designs (which include the GG Squall Classic) ventilate a lot better. I've been tempted to try the Contrail, but after experiments on the living room floor with measuring tape, masking tape and a tarp, I don't think it would be big enough for both of us. I was hoping for a 2-person Sublite Sil, but I guess that won't happen for a while. I'd still like to see the Squall Classic in silnylon.

The center zipper on the vestibule of the 2009 Squall Classic sounds well worth waiting for! As long as I can get it before I start taking trips of a week or more in June….

Roleigh Martin BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Mary, if you want a 2 person 1.5 pound silnylon tent, why not the SMD Refuge? Why don't you want the Squall Classic (I have one, and it fits me and my dog just fine).

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I do want the Squall Classic; it's just that for reasons of noise and price I prefer silnylon to spinnaker!

I took a look at the SMD Refuge, but without a bathtub floor the perimeter netting seems to want to lie on the ground, where it does little for ventilation.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 12, 2009 at 11:07 pm

The MLD pyramids are nice, except:
No floor
No screening

I need a bugproof (including against ants, of which there are a _lot_ on the east slopes of the Cascades as well as points east) space for me and my dog. That's why I'm sticking with lightweight single-wall fully-enclosed tents. I'm obviously going to end up with the Squall Classic, but there are other possible options that I would prefer if they were available.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I have a sil squall classic from the Tarptent days, and you should know that the Sil version comes in a little north of 32 oz with the sewn in floor and extended beak. For 2 oz more you can get the current squal2 from TT, which has more usable space, and better venting. Just sayin is all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Loading...