Topic

Gaiters

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I'm going to be doing some hiking on the Long Trail this May and I figure the trail will be pretty muddy and wet. I've never used gaiters before because most of my hiking is done during the late Summer and Fall. What are the gaiters I should be looking for in late spring / early summer hikes? I heard the Montbell Stretch are pretty good, but do you think I need something more waterproof like the Integral Design eVEnt shorties?

Robert Carver BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I use the OR Verglas. A pretty light high gaiter. I've been using them for the past couple of years. Love 'em.

Martin Rye BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Mountain Laurel Design Light Snow Gaiters. Light, quality, What more is there to say.

PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:48 pm

This is off-topic, but I hope you realize that the Green Mountain Club (which maintains the trail) asks hikers to stay off the Long Trail until after Memorial Day. May is mud season up there, so not only will you need gaiters, but you’ll be damaging the trail by not giving things a chance to dry out. Parts of the LT on state land are officially closed by the state until Memorial Day.

I hiked the AT through Vermont in August, and the mud was still bad then. I couldn’t imagine how yuck it must be in May. You’ll probably have a better hike if you wait until summer.

Read more here.

PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, I know the time isn't ideal, but it's the only chance I have this summer. I'm not leaving until the 24th of May and I'm pretty sure it's only the areas around Camel's Hump and Mansfield that are officially closed before Memorial Day. Thanks though.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Memorial Day this year is the day after you start, which should solve the problem.

I am looking at the Mountain Laurel Designs short gaiters which are definitely lighter than the Integral Designs eVENT shortie gaiters I currently have. The MLD gaiters are a little longer and a little lighter. I've been delighted with the MLD rain mitts (also eVENT), so I may give their gaiters a try.

PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 4:38 am

Sorry–didn't realize that you meant so late in May. I'm still kind of upset about how badly eroded and the AT was in New England, so I get defensive about how people use the trail.

As for gaiters, I'd suggest either getting something knee-high or just going with ankle-high gaiters to keep the mud out of your shoe. I went into ankle-deep mud in August on the AT/LT, so you're probably going to end up in much deeper muck. Good luck.

PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 8:45 am

I actually work at the GMC, so I can definitely understand what you mean about muddy trails, Scott… it's something we (as well as the AMC, MATC, and all the trail clubs in New England) work on constantly. Most of the trails out here were built before big crowds and knowledge of proper erosion control, so it's a slow process to fortify existing trails, especially with rainy summers like this last one, and fluctuating levels of funding for our trail crews (these nonprofits have to rely on donations and some public money for the AT and such). I guess no trail is really perfect, so, as they say, YMMV. I say it's worth walking through the mud.

As for the gaiters, I assume you'll be wearing waterproof footwear? Gaiters won't help much with mesh trail-runners…

Adrian B BPL Member
PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Even in mud I don't bother with gaiters, just gives the mud more chance to stick to you. If you're used to hiking without them, give it a go without them first, you might not miss them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...