Topic

platy bottle compatible pack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 1:57 pm

I'm pretty unsatisfied with my current pack (Gregory G pack) and wouldn't mind replacing it for a variety of reasons (weight, durability, fit, overall design, etc.). I know it may seems silly to chose a pack based on easy access to your water bottle but I've been looking for a way to easily hydrate my self with out having to take off my pack.

For a while now I have been using my inline sawyer water filter attached to a Platy BigZip and it works great in a lot of ways but, I'm not totally satisfied with the set up. I'd like to make gravity filter with a sawyer so I can use the system to filter water for a whole group instead of just myself, and then use platy bottles for my own hydration. The whole system would weigh about the same as the inline filter + bigzip (maybe a little more) but would increase the systems versatility and reduce the overall 'group' pack weight. The problem is, there is no way I can pull a platy bottle out of the pocket on my pack, let alone put it back, with out taking my whole pack off.

Does anyone have good experiences using platy bottles with out having take of your pack? If so, what pack do you use? I'm looking for a lightweight pack that will can carry up to 30 lbs in extreme situations (Long trips w/ no resupply), but any pack ideas that work well would be welcome.

PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Though I have never used one, the ULA packs look like they have some excellent water bottle pockets. Can anybody attest to this?

CW BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I can. I usually use a tube with my platy though. I put it in upside down and since the pocket down around it then run the hose up and over the shoulder strap. Works like a champ. With that said, I imagine it'd be pretty easy to stuff and remove a platy or gatorade type bottle.

PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I actually hate the side bottle pockets on ULA packs which I should mention is my ONLY complaint. No matter what bottle I use, flexible or hard, they almost always fall out at some point during my trip either when bending under a fallen limb or when poked by a branch. Over my last trip a flexible platy fell out and popped at the seam leaving me with only one source for water. I was NOT happy about the construction of the pack or the platy. Personally, I think this can be fixed by making the pockets taller, or as I asked ULA to do (and they installed for me on my pack) add just a small loop of elastic cord above the pocket to accommodate for taller water containers and improve stability. It is just a couple grams and doesn’t need to be used unless it is needed. Otherwise though, I love ULA packs.

PostedFeb 20, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I like my 6 moon designs starlight, my only conplaint is that the small side pocket sometimes doesn't want to give up my platy (1/2 liter) The other long side pocket holds a bladder quite nicely, although I tend to use it for my tent.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...