Topic

Lightest Socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest Socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m looking for a decent pair of sleep socks – i.e. ones that are always either on when Im asleep or in the pack.

I prefer merino wool socks, but whatever is fine. My current Wigwam Merino Wool socks are 3 oz and I’d like to cut that down.

Anonymous
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.campmor.com
    Wyoming Wear Fleece Feet Trail Sport 200 Socks
    Item Number: 14900
    $6.99

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

To answer my own question I found that the Smartwool RBX Ultralight socks seem to be about as light as one can go at 1.5 oz.

Example

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.11652/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

Anonymous
    Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Yes, but the RBX socks can double as regular hike socks.

Anonymous

“ones that are always either on when Im asleep or in the pack”

Didn’t understand your wording to include hiking. Have been using the P-Down socks with the very thin Smartwool liner socks over them for hiking. Have also tried sandwiching the P-Down socks between two pairs of the very thin Smartwool liners. Both approaches appear to greatly extend the life of the P-Down socks, but need more testing. Heels have not worn out yet as has happened when P-Down socks used alone. Three layer combination no thicker than some hiking socks. Have not tried the three layer approach in warm weather. May be too warm?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Go for it. Those RBX socks won’t be as warm as either the possum down socks or the 200 weight fleece. Your original post said you wanted sleep socks not double duty sleep/hike socks.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

You are right. Originally I was thinking of just having sleep socks, but then all this talk of multi-duty led me to alter slightly the concept as I thought about it.

Good to hear they are holding up.

Craig Shelley

@craig_shelley

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I don’t consider the Smartwool socks liner socks. I only use one pair of socks (not a sock and a liner sock). I use them to sleep in and hike. Because they are so light, I carry a pair for each day – fresh socks are a luxury I can afford at a little over an oz per pair. I put on the next day’s hiking socks when I go to bed, not to keep my feet warm but to keep the bag cleaner.

Smartwool Ultralight RBX Socks Mens 9-11.5 weight 31g/pair
    Patagonia Capilene Silkweight Endurance A Large 35g/pair

I like either of the above. I’ve seen slightly lower prices than those posted at Sierra Trading Post on the Smartwool sock. You might check for other deals online. I’ve bought both for about $6 per pair.

The one disadvantage of these socks is they wear out much faster.

Craig Shelley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools