Topic

Rain, rain, rain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Sooooo the forecast for this weekend is basically heavy rain over the whole country (wish I could send some to Victoria). We've got itchy feet and can't decide if we are desperate enough to go out for a two day hike or not. What would you do? Choose a destination where you are unlikely to be caught by a flooded river and re-test your rain gear, or hole-up with some good books at home?

I find the hardest part of setting out in a trip in that kind of weather is getting out of the car at the start of the trip…sometimes we've driven all the way to the trail head then turned around due to things looking too gross outside the haven of a warm, dry car. What a waste of petrol!

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Definitely absolutely go (I'm am)!

Even with bad forecasts there's often a chance for some good weather over a couple of days. And the more you walk in the rain the less it irritates you.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

>And the more you walk in the rain the less it irritates you.

And once you're wet, it doesn't bother you as much either. maybe we'll just go somewhere local like Mt Somers. It's usually too busy on weekends to go somewhere like that, but with the rain maybe we'll have a hut to ourselves (or with a few others of really nice personality!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the hardest part of setting out in a trip in that kind of weather is getting out of
    > the car at the start of the trip

I'll second that!
    So we cheated. It was pouring with RAIN at Guthega when we were meant to be going ski touring. Oh YUK! So I knocked at the door of a private ski lodge there, and begged the use of a room for the night (paid the fee of course). With the weather, the lodge was nearly empty. It was fine in the morning.

Cheers from the wimp.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Weeeeelllll we went for it and guess what? The forecast was plain wrong (not unusual around here). We had a little light rain turning to drizzle Saturday morning, then it cleared to stinking hot and humid. Sunday morning dawned with a perfect clear blue sky and no wind. Perfect really. That's just life when you live on an island in the south pacific that has unpredicatble weather. We get all that hot air from Oz, and all that cold damp air from penguin-land down south, and when the two meet it's anyone's guess what will happen.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

I too went for it, and got wet. Very wet. Amazing how cold it can be in the 'hottest' month of the year when you're soaked through in the wind at 1700m.

Another feature was an exciting crossing of a swollen Rees River.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools