Topic

WM bag- overweight?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Tim F BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 11:42 am

I have a WM Megalite Long w/ overfill that I'm wondering about the weight on. According to WM's spec chart it should weigh 1# 9oz (without overfill). So 25oz + 2oz (overfill): it should weigh in at 27oz, right? Mine weighs 29.6 oz. Does overfill add more than just the 2oz for the down? Is the shell any different? I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be. Has anyone else had this problem with a WM bag? I thought they had a pretty good reputation for being spot-on when it comes to both weight and temp rating.

Next question: anyone have a phone number or email address for Western Mountaineering? All I see on their site is a snail-mail address.

Thanks
-Tim

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 11:47 am

Tim, you're not alone. My Versalite (long) weighs 37 oz…3 ounces over the spec'd 34 oz. Even my Nunatak stuff is over spec.

PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

The 2oz is for the fill weight of the down, not the overall weight of the bag. The increases seem to be about what one would expect.

PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

WM has always made it difficult to contact them.

RE: Overwieght. Many qouted weights are just averages, and it is not uncommon for the actual weight to vary by as much as 10%. So at 27oz quoted weight, you may get anything from 24.3oz to 29.7oz.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 12:02 pm

2oz is just for the down, not the bag- that is one of my questions. A bag is just shell, zipper, drawcord and down, right? So when you get overfill do they change anything other than the weight of down in it?

I see what you mean about it only being 10% difference, and those spec'ed weights being averages, but then you would expect to see variance in both directions. Does anyone have a bag that is 10% *under* WM (or any manufacturer's) stated weight?

Maybe they accidently put the overfill in twice!

PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 1:29 pm

There would be nothing more in your bag than 2oz extra down compared to a standard bag. I have had WM bags slightly under spec and slightly over spec. Fabric alone often varies by at least +/- 10%, and I don't know how accurate their down delivery system is.

Tim F BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies folks. It really doesn't lower my opinion of my Megalite. It's my first WM bag and I think it won't be my last. The only thing I would improve on it (other than reduce the weight a few ounces) is the hood.

Thanks again.

Lynn- did your name change recently?

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Western Mountaineering:
1025 South 5th Street
San Jose, CA 95112

408-287-8944

I've not had any problems contacting them. You can also email Gary, the owner:

garys at westernmountaineering dot com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...