Topic

.25 oz bamboo spork

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Petite and cute. I like that. Infinately more resourceful that titanium or plastic. Very cool. Where did you get it?

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 3:48 pm

i was following links the other day and came upon it somewhere – if you can't find anything let me know & i'll look through my emails for the confirmation

it was only a few bucks (each) I think $3

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Two advantages I can think of
1) wood tastes/feels better than metal (subjective)
2) it has some antibacterial properties.
Maybe that is three…
I remembered reading about it some time ago and just found this comment on the Net :
"Dr. Cliver and his research associates have tested five life-threatening bacteria (Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus) on four plastic polymers and more than ten species of hardwood, including hard maple, birch, beech, black cherry, basswood, butternut, and American black walnut. Within 3 minutes of inoculating wooden boards with cultures of the food-poisoning agents, 99.9 percent of the bacteria were unrecoverable(/b>. On the other hand, none of the bacteria tested under similar conditions on plastic died."
Must look for or make a wooden version of my long Ti spoon .
Franco

Jed Augustine BPL Member
PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Hey y'all-

Nice find!

Do bamboo or wood utensils have a greater risk for bacterial growth? What I have in mind specifically is water and bacteria seeping into the transport tissues of the bamboo/wood and becoming a hazard. I have wooden and bamboo utensils that I use at home, and so far this hasn't been a problem at all, but I've always wondered. Any comments?

EDIT: Just saw Franco's post. Excellent info Franco!

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Interesting link, Franco. I've been using bamboo cutting boards for a few months now and so far, no problems. Hopefully that research also applies to bamboo (grass, not wood).

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 5:59 pm

For what its worth I have been using bamboo cutting boards forever and a backpacking spatula for everyday use and never had any problems. I live on a boat and have to conserve water and only use crappy bio soap even so never had any issues. I love bamboo. Ali

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 6:40 pm

kohl – those are similar but different, i think. where i bought mine, they had a 10 pack of "disposable" sporks, supposedly biodegradeable. i'm guessing they are a thinner and/or softer bamboo & probably lighter as well

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Of all the things I know little or nothing about, botany is towards the top of the list and it is a very long list.
According to Google and Google , yes it applies to bamboo as well, for example bed sheets made from bamboo fiber
http://www.elitelinens.com/Bamboo%20bedding%20by%20Homesource.htm
Of course as soon as I saw that I remembered having seen bamboo fiber T shirts and socks being advertised as having anti bacterial properties. I think that something of the type was posted here as well.
Franco

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Here is a link to the reusable kind. I found it by googling “bamboo spork” – it came up as the first link for me.

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 7:35 pm

checked my emails: i got it from greenfeet.com

when i googled "bamboo spork" earlier, though, i noticed many websites seem to have it

Donna C BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 2:52 am

Is the spoon bowl deep enough to get a good mouthful?

PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 9:16 am

donna,

the bowl is about teaspoon size, but it is a rimmed bowl design – so if you are scooping liquid, it will be roughly a teaspoon at a time, but if couscous or something else that has some shape to it, the wide, flat bowl & rim would probably be able to grab about a tablespoon at a time

PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 11:14 am

I dig it!

It's got one flaw though, and thats that oyu can't eat out of a deep dish or a Mountain House unlesss you cut the packaging down to the food.

-Evan

Robert Blean BPL Member
PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 11:46 am

You also cannot stir any cooking food if the food is very deep, or if the pot is very deep.

PostedFeb 21, 2009 at 11:47 am

If you need to stir a deep dish or pot just use native material.

In fact, you can ditch any kind of utensil if you just take easy-to-eat food and you learn how to wittle and use chopsticks out of native material!

cheers

Donna C BPL Member
PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 4:28 am

That isn't much different than any of the other sporks on the market. Looks like a winner to me. I see on the website that they have the disposable ones as well.
I might give the bamboo original a try. I'm planning to do part of the PCT next summer. ! (am I excited???)

PostedFeb 22, 2009 at 10:54 am

i've used my titanium stakes for stirring before (my folding spork wasn't really long enough to stir well either)

twig . BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 2:12 am

How about a chork, combination chopstick and spoon?!!
chork

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 3:22 am

Brett,

Surely that's a choon, or in the tines are sharp enough, a spop stork.

Is this a web pic, or have you got one/ a source for one? It looks pretty cool.

Rod

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
Loading...