Topic

Bushbuddy mesh grate

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bushbuddy mesh grate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Do you have any pics?

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

"Do you have any pics?"

Not on this computer, but when I get home tonight I'll post them…

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Ya know, this thread made me go look at the price of buying a BB directly from bushbuddy.ca. With the current exchange rate, the BB Ultra is "only" $91 US (vs. $132 member price on BPL). The strength of the dollar is in your favor if you're looking to pick up the real thing. The non-ultra version is $75 US right now.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

On that eBay stove- it's essentially the same one I've made except it looks like it uses premade wire mesh for the grate. The seller claims it's aluminum, which has a lower melting point than steel, which most wire cloth is made from. In my readings, the steel wire cloth corrodes and doesn't last long. That's why I went with NiCr wire as used in the Bushbuddy.

I'll say this- the stove was not hard to make. If you're not sure about using a wood stove in lieu of a butane or alky stove, I recommend giving it a try.

But that said, I am under no illusions that my stove performs as well or is as well made as the Bushbuddy. Fritz's stoves are fine pieces of work and, given the fuel savings, they will eventually pay for themselves.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Here are my pics:

Stove:
    Stove

Stove – top view:
    Top view

Stove – bottom view:
    Bottom view

Pot support:
    Pot support

Stove w/ pot support:
    Stove with pot support

Stove on scale:
    Stove on scale

I would like to use NiChrome wire, but I haven't gotten around to buying any yet. Instead I use regular wire mesh (aluminum?). So far, I've used the stove at least a dozen times with the same mesh, but when it finally does fail, my $6 roll of mesh will make about 150 more.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Wow Dennis – that is sweet! I'm very impressed.

Now go burn something and get it dirty!

Edit: just noticed, wouldn't your pot support also serve to shield the wind somewhat from each side?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Thanks Dennis.
    I just made the same stove but am using wire mesh for the pot support.
    I actually have some of the same aluminum you use in the shop right now- going to copy your pot stand tonight.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Great! You might have a better way of making the pot support, but I clamped the two pieces of 1/16" aluminum in a vice, then loaded 2 hacksaw blades into my hacksaw and cut the center slot – the slot ended up being 1/16" of an inch wide.

Anyone know a source for NiChrome mesh?

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

"…wouldn't your pot support also serve to shield the wind somewhat from each side?"

Yes, it does block some wind. The old pot support design was a 1" high aluminum ring that ran 3/4 the way around the stove. That seemed to block the wind much better, but I scrapped that idea because you had to be gentle when placing the pot on the stove. With the new design, I can literally stand on top of the pot support.

The BushBuddy seems to have a more elaborate (and probably efficient) design for drafting, but this seems to do a fine job as well.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Just copied your support and fired up the stove.
    I didn't use a watch, but it easily boiled over a pint.

I cut some triangular notches in the bottom of the support to facilitate feeding wood a little better; gives just a bit more room to slip stuff in. You can just see them here…

This is much better (albeit a tiny bit heavier) than the wire mesh stand I was using.

Total weight: 5.9 oz.

Using two hacksaw blades is smart (should've read this 30 minutes ago). I just cut twice on each slot.

Thanks again for the idea!

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Craig,

I like your idea of cutting open the bottom of the support – that would certainly make feeding wood easier. Time to alter mine…

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Does anyone have some extra nicr wire? I don't want to buy 98 ft of it.
    Looking to make a wood stove and need some.
    Thanks

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Dennis – Sweet pot stand… must make soon…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Try your local Pottery Supply Store. It is used a lot by folks working with clay.

High Temp Wire

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Try eBay. I bought some recently, about 20 feet for about $15 or so. I'd send you some but I've used some and sent the rest to someone for the same purpose.

Here's a link to a 50' length fairly cheap-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heating-Wire-Nichrome-18-awg-Nickel-Chromium-Alloy_W0QQitemZ280128621210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Connectors_Switches_Wire?hash=item280128621210&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

James Crowley

@jimcro55

You can buy the fine wired nichrome wire mesh on this site:

http://www.bwire.com/

Thats where I bought my stuff, just a small quantity, but it has really withstood the test of time well.

Good forum guys, keep it rolling and good luck to all.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools