Topic

Spring Footwear: Lightweight Footwear Systems Built Around Thin Neoprene Overboots and High Gaiters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Spring Footwear: Lightweight Footwear Systems Built Around Thin Neoprene Overboots and High Gaiters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Brian, I know some people here have used them. Maybe do a search. I'm not sure if it was the same model you linked to but I recall people discussing them. 2.2 lbs is killer though…

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Joe, I'm not sure I'd actually count on the sock to dry fast. My spring socks for wet junk are thick, gushy, mountaineering socks. They don't dry fast, if at all. This is my system for "hopelessly wet" conditions where temps are cold (and I thus want the thick sock insulation) – packrafting, river wading, and other sloppy snowmelt conditions.

In the fall, as it starts to get cold (and it's drier), I prefer a GTX boot (see forum post above) because it's just plain warmer (and I'm not dealing with a lot of snowmelt water conditions – dry trails, etc.), and 0 to 15 degree mornings are a lot more common than in the spring.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Wet is OK, cold is not.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Joe

> Wet is OK, cold is not.

Cheating! Summarising a whole article and extended discussion in six words.

But six correct words.

Cheers

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Brian, I have an old pair of NEOS overshoes similar to the Adventurers. My Large size weighs 38oz. I've been wearing them recently in knee deep snow and slush. They're not particularly warm so I've worn the Inov8 Roclite 390 GTX boots inside with medium weight merino wool socks. In warmer weather I've used them with non-waterproof trail shoes. I like them.

Daniel Fluri

@dani

anyone else wearing ankle high neo-prene socks in cold wet conditions?

inside a pair of inov-8 terrocs this is the simplest and probably lightest solution.

and should it really be getting hot, I replace the neo-prene socks with a pair of thin merino socks.

no need for gaiters, overboots and all that.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Daniel,
    Situation dependent, that probably is the lightest solution, and as long as it stays wet, your good to go. Problem is when temps drop, your shoes will freeze. Overboots will excel in winter conditions.

Liner Sock, VB Sock, Hardrocks, 40 Below Overboot. Keeps my feet warm and dry all day and night – so far so good!

OB

christian gagas

@chummysaladbar

Steve, it's funny to see this picture posted, it could have been taken of my own feet this past weekend in the White Mtns of NH. I used RBH insulated socks, Montrail Streaks, Simple Slippers (when really cold), and the LE overboots with a pair of Elites under them. 40Below synthetic booties completed the package in camp. Far and away the best winter footwear system I have tried, having been thru plastic boots, bunny boots and Steger mukluks. This system combined the best of all of the others and provided a level of convenience I have never experienced. I went into further detail about my experience with the LE's under the Reader Review section…

Christian

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Does anyone have experience using these:
    http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=ANN

Brian, I have a couple of pairs of older NEOS, one comparable to the Villager and an insulated version similar to the Explorer. They're a versatile solution but I no longer use them because they're a bit heavy and cumbersome for my taste. The insulated neoprene booties linked in my post above work a lot better for me because they feel more nimble. But the insulated NEOS are warmer for standing around camp.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Check it out! They seem to be warmer! AND lighter! AND cheaper! then forty below LE.

christian gagas

@chummysaladbar

I own a pair of these as well Huzefa, they are comparable to the Simple Slippers, but even then don't offer the same level of protection or ease of use. They are in no way however, in the same league as LE's, nor are they meant to be. LE's are meant to keep your footwear dry in snowy conditions, my experience with CMs is that they work like a neoprene wetsuit. My wife has a pair that she will use INSIDE her LE's to help boost temp ratings…but like the Simple Slippers they really don't have any kind of durable outsole and so will not last long on anything but snow (and mayble even still) unless protected by a snowshoe or other traction device.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Huzefa,
    The crescent moon bootie is in no way comparable to the LE Overboot – if you told Joel at 40 below that you were doing a head to head between his LE Overboot and the CM bootie, he'd probably be less then amused. I only want to clarify so that readers do not get confused here.

The LE Overboot is a fully enclosed knee high overboot weighing 14.4 oz in my size 11. The sole is a dotted rubber of some sort, the lower section is neoprene and the upper is a breathable integrated gaiter. A velcro strip up the middle allows installation and removal.

The Cresent moon bootie is a neoprene sock designed to fit over your footwear weighing 9.5 oz (from the web). It has a partial sole and no integrated gaiter. I actually like the design of it, but it really isn't fair to say it is a replacement for the LE Overboot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools