Topic

Shangri-La 3 v Nallo 2

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 8:28 am

Hi

I've read most of the threads relating to Shangri-La and I really do like the whole concept of it. However as it will be for 2 (one being my 7 year old) I'll be bearing the whole load including the nest.

I know I can find a lighter alternative than the supplied centre pole, but as I don't use a trekking pole this is also added weight.

The Hilleberg Nallo 2 has a vestibule and actually weighs less than Shangri-La 3/Nest/pole combination. It also is a very fine 4 season tent.

I much prefer sleeping with both of our heads to the door.

I really want the Shangri-La to work, but I'm finding it difficult to substantiate it over the Nallo. Without the abilty to find a lighter nest and a lighter centre pole it just doesn't make sense. I fully understand the centre pole issue is easily solved, but a trekking pole is not my first choice here.

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 8:37 am

I'm assuming it has to be a 4 season tent? I really don't understand GoLite's thinking when it comes to nests, it's like they farm those out to Coleman.

PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 9:26 am

Joe

Anything less than a 4 season tent would be a compromise.

EDIT:

Am I correct in my thinking that you can in fact replace the centre pole with a lighter weight trekking pole?

Also I now have found 2 people that are not happy with waterproofness of the nest’s floor see the end of this thread [post 54 onwards]

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 12:31 pm

You can replace the heavy pole with 2 trekking poles. Or 1 pole with an extender, or use a rope over a tree, or a stick. There was a thread on here showing some ingenius ways to connect two trekking poles a while back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...