Topic

Wind Jacket VS Rain Jacket

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Hello All! I am new to posting on this forum but I've been lurking around for a while now.

I have got my gear picked and purchased for my 09 PCT thru except for one remaining question I need help with. I am bringing a Marmot Driclime as I have heard many people rave about them. My question is…

Do I need to bring along an additional rain jacket or will the Driclime be enough? At least untill Washington maybe?

I dont mind being a little wet and want to keep the weight down. I realize this is a personal decision but would like the input of others…especially those of you who have done what I am about to get myself into!

PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm

If you have a good sleep system and insulating layers, I would be comfortable at least until Crater Lake Oregon. I got my rain gear in Cascade Locks on the or/wa border. Bring trash bags though, you might need them, we got maybe 6 inches of snow just past Mt Baden Powell in socal. The next real precipitation wasn't until the Sisters (almost m. 2000) area in oregon.

PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 6:44 am

I wouldn't be in the mountains without some sort of rain gear. You probably won't die if you're caught in the rain without it but it won't be a comfortable time. Some consider sparing it until the High Sierra and even then I think it's not a very good idea (you still go through really high ground in SoCal and it can get ugly) but until Washington? There are some better ways of saving weight than going without. I'd get at least a Propore jacket, it's just 5 oz.

The Driclime may be nice but it's not rain gear. And I don't think a wind *vs.* rain jacket is a good way to put it, they're different things with different functions and both have their place. Actually a very good strategy is carrying a very lightweight rain top to use only when it actually rains so you don't have to cope with the limited breathability too often and use a windshirt the rest of the time (which on the PCT may be most of the time).

The PCT, as any long trip, is more a mental issue than anything else. You can probably hike it all with no rain gear and you can probably hike it in a set of pajamas if you're determined enough. You can help your mental strengh by carrying a gear set that works (i.e. functionally, weight wise or even aesthetically if that matters) or press it harder by going without and still make it. I won't say it can't be done but I'll say feeling prepared helps keeping your motivation up.

Ross Bleakney BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I agree with Inaki. I would add is that the PCT is well suited for either a poncho or propore jacket. Since the trail is wide and well maintained, you are unlikely to rip it or get tangled. It is sort of a personal thing as to which one you prefer (poncho or propore jacket). Also, depending on the time you guy, you may have a higher chance of rain in Oregon vs. Washington. During late July and early August, Washington and Oregon get very little rain. You may be entering wetter areas, but moving towards drier seasons. That being said, I wouldn't go on a multi-day trip without some rain protection.

PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 7:38 pm

"I won't say it can't be done but I'll say feeling prepared helps keeping your motivation up."

But packing that rain jacket every morning that you haven't used in 1500 miles kinda saps it. It's really unlikely that you'll have extended (read multi-day) rain/snow anywhere before crater lake, let alone multi-day precip without bailout options. A trash bag plus a windshirt is pretty effective.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I know people who have made do with the driclime on multi-day trips… but I won't do it. I have slogged through heavy rains with just a driclime (or simular jackets). So long as it was a light drizzle or I was pushing hard I was fine, but as soon as my activity level fell I found myself getting quite chilled. I don't mind having to be that driven on done in a day activities, but I won't want that hassle on a longer trip. My recommendation would be pay the 5oz and take a propore jacket.

–Mark

PostedFeb 18, 2009 at 7:48 am

I know I am one who recommended the Driclime. It is not rain gear, though. I find it to be warm and comfortable and when I don't bring it hiking, I use it as a layer when riding my motorcycle.

Recently I bought a Patagonia Houdini. Wow, am I impressed. It weighs almost nothing. They say it is not able to withstand a steady downpour, but I wore it riding my motorcycle in the rain and the water just beaded.

I'm going to use it as an outer layer for wind and light rain, adding my umbrella for heavier rain. I hate ponchos. All that flapping just flings rain all over me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...