Topic

New REI UL pack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 6:20 pm

REI has replaced the UL Cruise 60 wiith the FLASH 65, a 65 liter bag.

It's very similar to the UL Cruise 60 EXCEPT that it has a fixed suspesion, no longer adjustable like the Cruise UL 60. And the back padding seems not as nice as previously.

Personally I prefer my slightly smaller pack with the added REI aftermarket side pockets which make it the same capacity as the new FLASH 65 but with more conveniance and capacity flexibility. (I can always remove the side pockets.)

The FLASH 65 does have a larger right side belt pocket which is nice and 3 horizontal 3/4" wide web strips on the left side for attatching a spare pocket or camera/GPS pouch. All else seems much the same as the UL 60 Cruise. Size Large still weighs in at 3lb., 2 oz. Notta too bad for a multiday pack that carries up to 45 lbs.

Eric

Jeff Jeff BPL Member
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I always wanted one of their UL45 packs for a daypack, but they never fit my 21.5" torso. Neither did the Cruise series. Hopefully their "large" goes above the listed 19" torso size. Anyone tried on on yet?

Justin Marney BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 6:45 am

My girlfriend recently bought one of the new Flash 50 packs: http://www.rei.com/product/778472 I took out the curved aluminum stays & HDPE frame sheet (which cannot be separated from each other) and trimmed a foam pad to fit into the frame sheet pocket. That seemed like it halved the weight of this already surprisingly light pack. She's only had the chance to take it out on a day hike but, since the top lid is detachable and it has multiple compression points it made a great light pack. I haven't weighed it yet but without the lid and frame stays it feels like its a little over 1lb. I'm going to post her full review and it should include precise weights at different configurations. That said, we are both really impressed with a lot of the features of this pack that clearly takes a few hints from popular lightweight pack designs like the G4.

PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I have the old UL60 pack before it was labeled the cruise. great packs, but i never carried enough to fill it up unless i had a 3L bladder, a full length z-rest and was carrying everything other than my girlfriends sleep system. even then there was enough room for a week or 2 more food… this year we got my g/f a ul45 so she can carry all her bulky stuff. Did they stick with the cinch cord compression system? that's the one thing I'll always miss about that pack. fill it, yank on the strap and your golden.

Mina Loomis BPL Member
PostedFeb 19, 2009 at 4:45 pm

"Did they stick with the cinch cord compression system? that's the one thing I'll always miss about that pack. fill it, yank on the strap and your golden."

Nope. Standard side compression straps, one on each side. Too bad–I've always liked the cord compression too. Maybe it's more expensive to manufacture–sewing the sleeves and threading the cord was probably an incremental cost over side straps. Just guessing.

I work part time in the camping department at our REI so I've had a chance to look at these. Haven't tried one.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...