Topic

Titanium Goat Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium Goat Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I saw this bivy earlier, and I have a few questions about it.

I want it to replace my equinox UL mummy bivy, which lacks the hood that the BMW vapr and Ti goat bivy have.
    I am wondering how this bivy compares to the Vapr, do you think the DWR top will be breathable enough, if so this $40 bivy may be for me. It looks like it will fit up to 6.6 feet and for only 5.5oz

any other comments/concerns are apreciated, If it lacks anything important, than I will probably dish out the $$$ for a Vapr bivy

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

But I didn’t even notice the bivy, nice find, Ryan.

I’ve never used a bivy, but this does seem an affordable, leightweight solution.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Specifications:
    Size: 80″ long, 60″ chest girth, 38″
    foot girth.

Man that seems small. Even the equinox bivi has about 70″ chest and 97″ length.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

the equinox site says their bivi is 93×33 ? I measured mine and it came out to be 81×33. the Ti goat may be slightly narrower, but my bivy is huge for me so it may not be a problem.

but it would not be very comfortable, so I think I will dish out the $$$ for the Vapr. Thanks I am glad I posted here before purchasing the bivy :-)

Anonymous

Take a look at the Mountain Laurel Design bivies.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

the soul bivy may be a good option, I have a few questions though.

first, dose it have a bathtub floor like the Vapr?

second, dose the 6.5oz weight include bug netting?

thanks

Anonymous

Best to ask Ron Bell since he is in the process of changing the ratio of silnylon and DWR/Epic upper to improve breathability and reduce condensation. It’s well known that he does custom work also.

David Spellman

@dspellman

first, dose it have a bathtub floor like the Vapr?

Bathtub floor? I think you’ve got the wrong idea about how the Vapr bivy is built.
    Think of two flat sheets that meet at the edges, with the top one Quantum and the bottom silnylon. Sew them together along the edges, except for the foot box. Now “box” the footbox (at the same time narrowing the bivy at that end. Do the same for the hood end.

In short, there’s no “bathtub floor.” Ideally, if you’re dead center in the bivy, the height of your torso (lying down) will pull the sides up a bit. But if you roll, or slide to one side, the edge is right on the ground. Nothing keeps it off the ground at all.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

You make this sound like a bad thing. The
    vapor bivys are very roomy compared to the above
    di-mentioned. Regular 80″ long by 72″ girth at the shoulders. Gives you farther to roll ;^). The
    boxed foot and head sections when used with the
    tie outs help maintain the “tub” shape as well. Stick
    a boot on either side of your pad to help keep you
    from rolling too far.

The worries about breathability of materials are
    overblown in my opinion, just look at the
    discussion about condensation in fully breathable
    sleeping bags when tent camping in the winter camping section. Condensation happens even if you were to use canvas in some conditions. I have used Goretex bivys for years with great success.

I know what fabric I would want on my bivy if I were stuck on a ledge in a rain storm (and it ain’t DWR ripstop). ‘course a PFTE bivy won’t weigh in at sub 4 oz. like BMW latest prototype.

Prioritize your needs
    cost
    weight
    bug pro
    wind pro
    rain pro
    snow pro
    dirt pro
    roomyness
    natty good looks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools