Topic

Energy on the Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Energy on the Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bob dylan

@ineedenergy

What does everyone eat or drink to get more energy on the trail? I came across this article about bringing energy drinks backpacking(http://energy-drink-ratings.blogspot.com/2007/09/energy-drinks-to-bring-backpacking.html/), and I was wondering what everyone else uses for energy. I have a friend who swears by peanut butter.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

deleted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I'm on the move, I use only a "sports drink", Hammer Nutrition's Perpetuem. It provides mostly carbs, a little protein, and a trace of fat. The idea is to use the simple carbs to supplement stored body fat and muscle glycogen during the day. Simple carbs do not divert blood/nutrients from the working muscles to support the digestive process which occurs when solid food is eaten. I have been doing this for about 4 years and it works very well, at least for me. YMMV, of course, but maybe worth experimenting with.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Like most hikers I know, the real answer is: Snacks – lots of snacks…..

I use my vacuum sealer to make peanut butter and jelly packets, but many have just as good of luck with peanut M&Ms and chocolate (I use those too, I just like a variety). I also enjoy the recipie I found on here for Super Spackel – it's actually very, very tasty.

Best idea I use is to calculate the calories you are eating for breakfast and for dinner, then plan on adding to it enough snacks for your needed calorie intake. In many cases, 1/2 or more of my calories for the day come from constant snacking to help keep my energy level from crashing.

I don't get caught up with energy gels and whatknot though. I've tried them, some work well but the texture just bothers me – like I dread eating them. The other problem I had with them is some require tons of water to make palletable.

Many energy drinks help on the hydration front, which is important, but aren't really energy since they don't have a lot of calories.

Anonymous

Joe,

What in the world is "Super Spackel"? Sounds like a product for patching large holes in your walls.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

It's one of Mike Clelland's inventions. Here's a link to his article:
    Groovy-Biotic Cooking

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

Goggle it. I couldn't make this up!
    » 2 parts honey
    » 2 parts corn flour (NOT corn meal)
    » 1 part peanut butter (smooth)
    Keeps for a LOOOOOOOOONG time, tastes great, and spreads well over 50º F. I keep mine in those handy Coghlan's food tubes. I pack Tortillas, they also keep a long time, and make a Moose Goo role or two for lunch.

Per tube:

» 1320 calories
    » 172g carbs (70 simple, 102 complex)
    » 24g protein
    » 38g fat

Not SUL, but a dollop packs a wallop!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools