Topic

Sock Liner

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Is it best to use a wool sock liner or synthetic?

I used a synthetic on my last hike and could feel my foot slipping a little inside the wool sock. So I started to wonder…

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 3:01 am

Depends on the footwear. If you are using trail runners, then you don't really need them.

I find silk works the best for me and holds up over time. The synthetics just don't seem as sturdy or comfortable.

I would use wool over synthetics. I have never use wool liners, so I can't comment on them.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedFeb 17, 2009 at 8:57 pm

According the extensive research by Dr. Murray Hamlet of the Army Cold Weather Research Center the best combo (for boots) is a synthetic liner (typically coolmax) and a wool blend outer sock (rough outside, smooth facing inward). Part of why this system works is that the slipping is between the socks rather than next to your foot.

My experience is that when wearing trail runners I don't have to wear double socks to avoid blisters. The best for me (because I normally get blisters between by toes) are Injinji toe socks (they also make liners which I sometimes use inside gore-tex oversocks). Other than the issue of blisters between my toes I have been pretty happy with Inov-8 mud-sock, Wright running socks, and Smartwool Adrenaline.

–mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...