I am needing to rethink my sleeping system as my old 4 season bag has finally had it. I have a 2 season bag in the Vango Venom which is down, lightweight (at 22oz / 640g), and in good condition. I'm wondering whether to purchase another summer bag slightly larger to extend the Vango to 3 season use (it needs to go down to 32F / 0C). I sleep on an exped synmat 7 (heavy I know but SO incredibly comfy) and so no heat is lost to the ground. It also occured to me that if I used a synthetic bag it would protect the goose down of the Vango. That said, I am very careful with my down so compressability and light weight would take precedence here.
Has anybody combined bags in this way and how do you find it? What kind of increase might I expect when combining 2 summer (2 season) bags?
I know the British manufacturer PHD do a combo bag but the cost is in the region of £230 ($330)and I really don't want to spend that right now having just splurged out on a whole load of new kit. Does anybody have any suggestions of a bag that might work here?
The dimensions of the Venom are 210cm / 83ins x 75cm / 29.5ins(chest) tapering to 50cm / 20ins(foot).
An obvious advantage that occurs to me with this is that it provides versatility.
Any thoughts / experiences / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
N.B I really don't want to spend much more than £120 / $180.

