Topic

Poncho Tarps

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I am considering not getting the DriDucks Micropor Rainsuit and instead get something a little cost effective and versitile.

Which one is the best?

Golite Poncho Tarp, 10 oz.
Sea to Summit Nylon Tarp Poncho, 13 oz.
MYOG SilNylon Poncho Tarp, ? oz.
Homemade Cuben Fiber Poncho Tarp, ? oz.

I want to spend $50 max or less.

Thanks for help.

-Evan

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Good call, you'll never regret having a poncho kicking around. I'd say GoLite. Find a coupon code (on lots of sites right now) and you'd have around $40 into it. Looks like a nicer tarp than the S2S too, and lighter of course.

I doubt you could get the cuben, tape, webbing, shipping, etc. for much less than $50. If you did, you could look forward to replacing it soon enough. Methinks MYOG won't save you any money for an item like this either. Best of luck!

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:42 pm

what do you guys think of the Integral Designs Silcoat Cape(in size L)?

Unisex Size Large:

Neck to front bottom hem, 32” +
back of neck to back bottom hem, 34” = 66in. = 5.5ft.

side of neck to wrist, 30”, *2 = 60in. = 5ft.
(from Prolite gear.com)

So it's relativily small(and very light at only 3.77 oz.!) at only 5.5*5 ft. But in combo with a bivy would this work well?

-Evan

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Or even istead of a bivy perhaps 1sq. yard of .33oz. cuben with a few grommets, even lighter than a bivy?

cheers

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Wow, I have one of those too, and I like it alot. Easier and quicker to maneuver in/out of than a poncho. With a stretch cord belt it's slightly better than a poncho on tricky terrain or in the wind. In size L it's closer to 5.5 oz I think. It's only good for a small pack, def. less than 3000ci.

PostedFeb 15, 2009 at 6:53 pm

well i'm down to about 1500 cu in. any way which by general standards is a daypack :)

John S. BPL Member
PostedFeb 16, 2009 at 6:15 am

For 50 bucks, I'd be going with golites poncho. Equinox makes a cheaper one too, but golites is probably better made.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...